help with water-cooling! (first timer)

Bulk_Vanderhuge

Honorable
Jan 19, 2014
PC Part Picker build list

This is my first attempt at a water-cooled system. After watching some videos and comprehensive guides I decided to take the plunge. I wanted to use the Bitfenix Prodigy as my platform and go from there. Some more research led me to the NCIX Bitfenix build and I copied some of the pieces and setup used in that build.

I plan on using 3/8 ID 5/8 OD tubing. I know that 1/2 ID will add slightly better performance, but it's only about a 1 degree C difference and the 3/8 is easier to bend without kinking, as well as offering better airflow in a small case. I will use compression fittings on all connections except for the pump.

Here are my two main questions:

1) In the NCIX build, they opt for 2 radiators, 240mm on the front and 120mm on the back so that they don't clog up the top with a 360mm, which is the only place to mount one that size. Would there be any advantage or disadvantage to a 2x radiator setup as opposed to 1x 360mm on the top?

2) I'm new to liquid cooling so I'm not 100% on the push vs pull configuration and general fan setup. The case comes with 2 Bitfenix Spectre fans which have good ratings for static pressure, which you need for pushing or pulling air through radiator resistance. I am adding a third one for the radiator on the back. What I don't know is how to configure the fans. Should all three fans be pulling air into the case to cool the radiators, and then place exhaust fans blowing out on the top? Should I have a classic, 2 pull in front, 1 exhaust in back? Any suggestions are appreciated, keeping in mind I would like to minimize fan noise.

Other thoughts:

-I chose a stock reference gtx 780 ti because I plan to do the overclocking myself. I know if you choose factory overclocked card you can often get better chips (via binning) but I'll take my chances. I also chose a gpu waterblock that is listed as being for a gtx 780 and not a gtx 780 ti, but after some searching I found that as long as the ti is reference, it will fit.

-I checked the power draw of all the parts without overclocking and think that even with overclocking and water-cooling, 650w should do the trick. I might be sorely mistaken. Any thoughts or experience you can share would certainly be appreciated.

Well there it is. Sorry if it's a bit long-winded, but have at her.

Cheers.

In case you don't want to click the link, the build is:

-Intel Core i7-4770K
-Asus MAXIMUS VI IMPACT Mini ITX
-G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
-Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
-EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB
-SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX
-BitFenix Prodigy Mini ITX Tower Case
-BitFenix Spectre 43.5 CFM 120mm Fan
-Swiftech MCP655 pump (Laing d5)
-Swiftech MCRES Micro Revision 2 reservoir
-Swiftech Apogee HD CPU Waterblock
-Swiftech GTX 780 Full Coverage GPU Waterblock
-Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 120mm
-Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 Full Copper 240mm
-10x compression fittings (4x radiator, 2x GPU waterblock, 2x barb swap on CPU waterblock, 2x barb swap on res)
-2x hose clamps (for the pump)
-6.5 feet 3/8 ID 5/8 OD tubing
-.999 silver kill coil