[SOLVED] Help with weird graphical issue

MikeC24

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Hello everyone , so all the games i play they dont feel like 144 hz and not smooth at all it feels like its 60 hz or 75 hz all settings are fine bot windows and nvidia cp
i tried reinstalling drivers going back a couple of versions made no difference , tried 2 diferent DP cables still the same also tried using HDMI at 120 hz still performs bad

it gets worse if i play at 144 fps it gets unplayable i get a blury horizontal line across the screen , i recorded a clip where you can see a bit the issue im getting in csgo

My setup :
CPU: i7 8700 k at 4.5 ghz
GPU: GTX 1080 ARMOR 8gb
MB: ASUS PrimeZ 370 p
RAM: 2 x 8 gb Ripjaws at 2400 mhz
PSU: 630 w berlin 80 +
DISPLAY : MSI Optix Mag27c

View: https://youtu.be/fAyztjHL4K0
you cant see it very well in the video its at the end whenever i move my mouse arround it lags like crazy

i dont use vsync because of the input lag , gsync makes no diference even if i turn vsync on its still the same i dont know what else to do , i dont even feel like playing because i cant perform well when gaming

Solution
Your performance is quite good at least in CSGO, why it looks horrible to you I dont know but I doubt it's the GPU's fault. If screen tearing is what is bothering you, you can easily get rid of it by turning on freesync and not letting the framerate exceed your monitors refresh rate so 144fps max. I believe the freesync range of that monitor is 90-144fps so you should get no screen tearing in that range.

I'm thinking you have an issue with your monitor, terrible pixel response times can make 144fps feel as though it's much lower. Do you have over drive turned on in the monitors menu?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Lines across the screen is likely screen tearing which can happen as you are likely way above the refresh rate of your monitor, gsnyc wont work at all at those framerates. However I would not describe screen tearing as lag, you just have multiple frames on screen at the same time which can look a bit ugly and be distracting. I do not see any lag in the video and framerate looks stable enough. The frame time graph in afterburner or similar would be helpful, it will show how stable or unstable your framerate is in game.

MikeC24

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Lines across the screen is likely screen tearing which can happen as you are likely way above the refresh rate of your monitor, gsnyc wont work at all at those framerates. However I would not describe screen tearing as lag, you just have multiple frames on screen at the same time which can look a bit ugly and be distracting. I do not see any lag in the video and framerate looks stable enough. The frame time graph in afterburner or similar would be helpful, it will show how stable or unstable your framerate is in game.
Thanks for replying
and is there anything i can do to fix it?
because im about to throw this gpu out the window and buy a new one , everygame i play it looks really bad even minecraft looks horrible , with such a setup having such bad performance is really anyoing

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Your performance is quite good at least in CSGO, why it looks horrible to you I dont know but I doubt it's the GPU's fault. If screen tearing is what is bothering you, you can easily get rid of it by turning on freesync and not letting the framerate exceed your monitors refresh rate so 144fps max. I believe the freesync range of that monitor is 90-144fps so you should get no screen tearing in that range.

I'm thinking you have an issue with your monitor, terrible pixel response times can make 144fps feel as though it's much lower. Do you have over drive turned on in the monitors menu?

Last edited:
Solution

MikeC24

Prominent
Jun 9, 2019
Is your refresh rate set to 144Hz in nVidia control panel ?

https://prnt.sc/p3u07w
yeah it is , the weird part is that if my fps is caped bellow or above 144 fps or unlimited the tearing seems to get better but the movement gets weird and if i cap it at 144 fps the movement and the picture seem smooth but with extreme tearing not just lines but also like little blurry squares on edges and parts of the map where there is sand , its very weird