Question Help with WiFi issue

ycbhill01

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
I am monitoring a digital camera (broadcasting WiFi) using my smartphone (no router). When I first start monitoring, movement in the camera view appears on my phone after a short (< 1 sec) delay. However, after monitoring for several minutes, the camera view doesn't show up on the phone for 3 - 8 seconds. If I exit the monitoring (app) and then restart monitoring, I get the exact same result, quick response at first and then delayed response after monitoring for a few minutes.

Now here is another wrinkle. I have my phone monitoring the camera for several minutes and the phone image is lagging. I start the monitoring on my tablet. Initially again camera movement is visible on the tablet with very short delay while that same movement appears 3 to 8 seconds later on my phone. Yes, that's correct. Phone and tablet sitting side by side and camera movement on the phone lags the tablet by several seconds when I first start the tablet. Now after 5 minutes or so, camera movement now lags on the tablet as well. The phone and tablet lag times vary from movement to movement 3 to 10 seconds) and are not necessarily equal. The phone lag may be longer than the tablet or vice versa for successive camera movements.

Can anyone explain what is happening and offer a solution on how to prevent the delay.

kanewolf

Titan
I am monitoring a digital camera (broadcasting WiFi) using my smartphone (no router). When I first start monitoring, movement in the camera view appears on my phone after a short (< 1 sec) delay. However, after monitoring for several minutes, the camera view doesn't show up on the phone for 3 - 8 seconds. If I exit the monitoring (app) and then restart monitoring, I get the exact same result, quick response at first and then delayed response after monitoring for a few minutes.

Now here is another wrinkle. I have my phone monitoring the camera for several minutes and the phone image is lagging. I start the monitoring on my tablet. Initially again camera movement is visible on the tablet with very short delay while that same movement appears 3 to 8 seconds later on my phone. Yes, that's correct. Phone and tablet sitting side by side and camera movement on the phone lags the tablet by several seconds when I first start the tablet. Now after 5 minutes or so, camera movement now lags on the tablet as well. The phone and tablet lag times vary from movement to movement 3 to 10 seconds) and are not necessarily equal. The phone lag may be longer than the tablet or vice versa for successive camera movements.

Can anyone explain what is happening and offer a solution on how to prevent the delay.
What APP are you using? Something by the camera manufacturer?

ycbhill01

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
The camera is actually an ATN Thor 4 thermal hunting scope. The app is Obsidian 4 which I assume was developed by / for ATN. My phone and tablet are both android but I have observed the same issue on a friends iphone.

kanewolf

Titan
The camera is actually an ATN Thor 4 thermal hunting scope. The app is Obsidian 4 which I assume was developed by / for ATN. My phone and tablet are both android but I have observed the same issue on a friends iphone.
Since you are dealing with Android and an unusual camera. I would recommend contacting the scope manufacturer. There is not much that I believe we could help.