Question Help with wifi please...

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Okay. We we have a three story house. Basement, main floor and one bedroom on the second floor. There is only one line coming into the house for internet and it goes to the router in the basement. My girls' bedrooms are the farthest away from the router. The internet is terrible over wifi. I added a line through the walls recently and hardlined my office, but I don't know that I can get a line to either of their bedrooms. I'm pretty sure I can't. I spent about three hundred dollars on nice powerline adapters at Christmas. They don't work. Apparently my fuse box has too many phases??? I am constantly resetting power on the router and it sometimes helps. Right now, my phone won't load anything. It says it is connected to wifi, but there is no internet. My daughter is trying to do her homework, but her chromebook says it's connected and has internet, but it won't load anything. My other daughter is on her chromebook and wifi is working just fine. My hard line always works just fine.

Help!?

I'm going to try to run hardlines to other parts of the house and try ubiquiti access points as someone else has suggested I try, but I'm skeptical of this too as I have a wireless access point set up on the second floor for the one bedroom up there. It has worked for a long time, but recently when anyone tries to connect to it, it says searching for ip address and tries until it gives up and drops and tries to connect to one of the other wifi signals.

Please help.

Thanks.

Ralston18

Titan
What make and model router do you have? Is the router your router or via your ISP (rented)?

What make and model is the wireless access point on the second floor?

By "hardlined" I believe you are saying that you ran Ethernet cable from the router to the endpoint - that being your office. Correct?

Do you have admin rights to the router? How many devices are you attempting to connect - wired and wireless?

Yes: powerline adapters may have issues if not on the same circuit with respect to circuit breakers/fuses.

Before doing anything my recommendation is that you sketch out a simple diagram showing the current network layout showing all devices and current connectivity. Post the diagram and be sure to indicate the use of any static IP addresses and DHCP IP address ranges being used.

Post the diagram accordingly. It does not need to be a work of art per se. Just simple and clear showing IP addresses along with all wired and wireless connections.

How to post the network diagram

Key is to present the overall situation with more detail and clarity. May simply be a current configuration problem - details matter.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'll start working on this, but I just unplugged one of the powerline adapters and my phone seems to be working again. I'm going to check on my daughter's chromebook in the morning with the powerline adpater unplugged and see if that helped. Maybe if I take all three of them out of the outlets my internet will improve. Wow what a waste of three hundred dollars.

TRENDING THREADS