Help with windows 7 when installing a new motherboard

Nochie

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hello! I have upgraded my motherboard from the MSI 760 p23 GM to the AS rock extreme 3 970. Everything is in the case and ready to go, but I don't know what to do about installing windows 7. Do I need to get a new windows 7 or will the old one work just fine?

Solution
Hi

was the Windows 7 DVD a:- retail / retail upgrade / system builder or OEM recovery disk

The first two will allow re activation after motherboard change the second two will not
(unless you can convince Microsoft that the motherboard died and that model is no longer available)

Windows 7 will probably reboot OK but it would have helped if you prepared in advance by un-installing drivers for sound, network card, Hard disk controller etc before final shutdown on old motherboard

[and copying drivers for new motherboard onto hard disk]

best of luck

Mike Barnes
Hi

was the Windows 7 DVD a:- retail / retail upgrade / system builder or OEM recovery disk

The first two will allow re activation after motherboard change the second two will not
(unless you can convince Microsoft that the motherboard died and that model is no longer available)

Windows 7 will probably reboot OK but it would have helped if you prepared in advance by un-installing drivers for sound, network card, Hard disk controller etc before final shutdown on old motherboard

[and copying drivers for new motherboard onto hard disk]

best of luck

Mike Barnes

Solution

Nochie

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

I got the windows 7 disc from retail, I will have to look around for it though. But, is it too late to pop the old board in and go through a couple preemptive steps like backing up data and drivers. And if I do not find the windows 7 disc is it still possible to get it back on?

Hi

If you have not booted up with new motherboard yet you could go back to old motherboard

Since it is a Retail DVD you probably wont need it or its sticker unless you have activation problems

Nirsoft productkey will find the Windows (& Office) keys from the registry for you if your Windows 7 DVD cant be found

but make a Windows 7 system-repair-disc in case you have any boot problems

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc

regards

Mike Barnes

Nochie

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

Alright thanks a lot, Mike!

TRENDING THREADS