Question Help with Wireless Networking Card

sgtpepper5987

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Hi all was wondering If anyone could give me advice on this issue I'm having with my new build. I installed a Gigabyte GC-WB867D wireless networking card. Its capable of speeds up to 867 mbps. I have a 1000mbps connection running through a Nighthawk x6 R8000 wireless router that is capable of speeds up to 3.2 gbps. I'm only getting 530 mbps through my Desktop and I'm setting across the room from my router. I've tried a bunch of guides online and I've tried changing channels in the router settings. I've enabled boost and power boost on my card in configure and still only getting 530 mbps. I've connected directly via Ethernet and i get 930 from the cable modem and from the router separately to see if there was an issue with the router. Is it possible to get closer to my cards maximum speed or am I out of luck enjoying a wireless connection if I want my full speed capabilities?

sgtpepper5987

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
Is that 530 the link speed or the throughput on speedtest? If that is speedtest, then you are getting all that is possible.
What bandwidth do you have the 5Ghz set to on the router? 40, 80, 160Mhz?

530 mbps is the top speed I get on my desktop using wireless. If I use Ethernet through the router I get 930 mbps. Its tri band wireless one 2.5 channel and 2 5ghz channels. I have one 5ghz channel turned off because it seems to run 100 mbps slower than the other channel. The one I have on is running at 153. I understand I cant reach 867 mbps the top speed of my wireless card but I thought I would at least get closer than 530 mbps.

kanewolf

Titan
But, my question is how are you measuring that 530? Is it via a speedtest website? If so, then 530 is max. Why, because WIFI is not full duplex. So even with an 900 Mbit link speed, the WIFI can only transmit or receive. That cuts throughput approximately in half. So if you are getting 530 throughput on a speedtest website, then that is all you will ever get.

sgtpepper5987

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2013
But, my question is how are you measuring that 530? Is it via a speedtest website? If so, then 530 is max. Why, because WIFI is not full duplex. So even with an 900 Mbit link speed, the WIFI can only transmit or receive. That cuts throughput approximately in half. So if you are getting 530 throughput on a speedtest website, then that is all you will ever get.
well that is unfortunate. so your saying i would need a 2gbps connection to achieve a 1gbps wifi connection?

kanewolf

Titan
well that is unfortunate. so your saying i would need a 2gbps connection to achieve a 1gbps wifi connection?
You would need a 2 Gbit WIFI link speed to get 1Gbit throughput. You won't get any significant benefit between 500Mbit and 1Gbit in most real world situations. Most internet data sources can't supply gigabit capacity to a single client. Gigabit internet is more marketing than benefit to a single user. If you had 6 or 10 people using that 1Gbit, then would be benefit between 500Mbit and 1Gbit. For a single user, no benefit IMO.

It is surprising after all these years of this marketing misinformation it is not more widely known that these numbers are extremely deceptive. It is a almost a daily occurrence there are people asking this question.

If you can get 500mbps you are doing MUCH better than the average user. Then again most people are not in the same room as their router you take a massive speed hit even going through 1 wall.

I am still considering buying a bunch a cheap ethernet cables slap a sticker on them that says "gaming ready" and claim they can run 2gbit. I could sell them for 10 times the cost and idiots would likely buy them. By the way ethenet cables can actually send 1gbit and receive 1gbit at the same time so it is less a lie than the wifi manufacture tell.