Help with XMP

Jan 4, 2019
Hey guys,

I purchased a ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9, paired with a I9-9900k. I also have CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB Series 16GB 3.0GHz (CMR16GX4M2C3000C15). This is my first time owning an ASRock product. For some reason every time I enable the XMP profile, my system BSOD after 20 minutes. I've been searching online and I really can't get a good tutorial or information on how to properly use XMP. When I disable XMP and my ram goes back to 2133, I have no issues what's so ever. I would really like to get close to the advertised speed of my ram, I would even be content with 2800. I just need some help on how to get the ram stable with XMP enabled. All the help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
XMP *should* be a 'set it and forget it' situation - but it isn't always that smooth.

You could try manually setting the timings (& loosening a touch, if you need to).
But first of all - are you overclocking the CPU?

Please post your full system specs.

Does your specific Vengeance kit have alternate XMP profiles? 2666MHz, 2800MHz etc? If so, can you try those and see what happens?

It's a good idea to run MemTest to ensure there's no problems with the RAM itself:
https://www.memtest86.com/

Jan 4, 2019
No Barty1884, I'm not going to overclock the CPU. I just want to get the advertised speed I paid for the ram. I have never done XMP before. I read in a lot of places it just enable and your done, but mine unfortunately it's not like that. do you need me to run Speccy for specs?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
A list of the hardware you purchased would be sufficient.

I'd definitely run MemTest to verify there are no underlying issues with the RAM itself.

The only reason I asked about OCing the CPU is that can limit what you can achieve on the memory.
Running at stock speeds though, you certainly should be able to hit 3000MHz.

Jan 4, 2019
Hey Barty so I ran the test I have no issues with the ram. Sorry I didn't write back I was doing the test run.

Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 9

CPU- Intel I9-9900k

Cooling: Corsair H115i PRO

Ram- VENGEANCE® RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Memory Kit

Graphics: GTX 1080TI

EVGA: 850G Power Supply

I have 3 Samsung SSD's and 1 reg HDD

Jan 4, 2019
I think I was able to fix it. I went ahead and I entered the voltage manually into the bios. I had it on auto maybe the voltage was going to high or not high enough.