HELP!! Write-delay failed/external HD not recognized anymore

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

I might be off in some newsgroups but nonetheless this is an emergency. I
ran Norton Speed Disk on my external HD last night.

This morning when i woke the speeddisk had an error, couldn't finish. The
explorer message said couldn't write some file (msg.ft?). And the message
was write-delay failed. And I should try to save the file somewhere else.
But I didn't know where this file was in the first place.
Anyway, I turned off the computer and tried to connect again.

The External Disc is not recognizzed. I can see Local Disc but no size and I
cannot access it....

HELP needed urgently. This disc contains all my data. I cannot afford to
lose it!

THANKS!!

DF

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:36:51 GMT, "De Fly"
<defly@verizon.net> wrote:

>I might be off in some newsgroups but nonetheless this is an emergency. I
>ran Norton Speed Disk on my external HD last night.
>
>This morning when i woke the speeddisk had an error, couldn't finish. The
>explorer message said couldn't write some file (msg.ft?). And the message
>was write-delay failed. And I should try to save the file somewhere else.
>But I didn't know where this file was in the first place.
>Anyway, I turned off the computer and tried to connect again.
>
>The External Disc is not recognizzed. I can see Local Disc but no size and I
>cannot access it....
>
>HELP needed urgently. This disc contains all my data. I cannot afford to
>lose it!
>
>THANKS!!
>
>DF

Take the drive out of the external enclosure and hook it
direct to a motherboard controller. If it's then not
readable, run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

How do I do this?...I have a laptop...

DF

"kony" <spam@spam.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 18:36:51 GMT, "De Fly"
> <defly@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>I might be off in some newsgroups but nonetheless this is an emergency. I
>>ran Norton Speed Disk on my external HD last night.
>>
>>This morning when i woke the speeddisk had an error, couldn't finish. The
>>explorer message said couldn't write some file (msg.ft?). And the message
>>was write-delay failed. And I should try to save the file somewhere else.
>>But I didn't know where this file was in the first place.
>>Anyway, I turned off the computer and tried to connect again.
>>
>>The External Disc is not recognizzed. I can see Local Disc but no size and
>>cannot access it....
>>
>>HELP needed urgently. This disc contains all my data. I cannot afford to
>>lose it!
>>
>>THANKS!!
>>
>>DF
>

> Take the drive out of the external enclosure and hook it
> direct to a motherboard controller. If it's then not
> readable, run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostics on it.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

When trying to access via explorer it says L:\ is not accessible /
error performing inpage operation

"De Fly" <defly@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I might be off in some newsgroups but nonetheless this is an emergency. I
> ran Norton Speed Disk on my external HD last night.
>
> This morning when i woke the speeddisk had an error, couldn't finish. The
> explorer message said couldn't write some file (msg.ft?). And the message
> was write-delay failed. And I should try to save the file somewhere else.
> But I didn't know where this file was in the first place.
> Anyway, I turned off the computer and tried to connect again.
>
> The External Disc is not recognizzed. I can see Local Disc but no size and
> cannot access it....
>
> HELP needed urgently. This disc contains all my data. I cannot afford to
> lose it!
>
> THANKS!!
>
> DF

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 19:53:32 GMT, "De Fly"
<defly@verizon.net> wrote:

>How do I do this?...I have a laptop...

Easiest way would be to take it to (someone with) a desktop.
'Tis an example of why laptops are more of a compliment to
rather than replacement for a desktop.

There "might" be adapters out in the market, though I've
never seen one that went that direction opposed to the
opposite, a laptop drive to desktop adapter instead. They'd
be relatively easy but tedious to make by hand given a pile
of parts (pin-header, IDE cable soldered to correct pins,
and the external power supply from the external enclosure,
providing that power supply wasn't the whole probem to begin
with).

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

Problem seemed fixed. Ran Safe mode to c prompt then did chkdsk /f
Disk is recognized again.
One small error in bad sector found.

> When trying to access via explorer it says L:\ is not accessible /
> error performing inpage operation
>

> "De Fly" <defly@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>I might be off in some newsgroups but nonetheless this is an emergency. I
>> ran Norton Speed Disk on my external HD last night.
>>
>> This morning when i woke the speeddisk had an error, couldn't finish. The
>> explorer message said couldn't write some file (msg.ft?). And the message
>> was write-delay failed. And I should try to save the file somewhere else.
>> But I didn't know where this file was in the first place.
>> Anyway, I turned off the computer and tried to connect again.
>>
>> The External Disc is not recognizzed. I can see Local Disc but no size
>> and I
>> cannot access it....
>>
>> HELP needed urgently. This disc contains all my data. I cannot afford to
>> lose it!
>>
>> THANKS!!
>>
>> DF

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,symantec.customerservice.general (More info?)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:18:26 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com>
wrote:

Please excuse the troll's attempts at impersonation.
Perhaps an example of why it's good to limit the number of
groups one posts to.

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 05:37:34 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 04:18:26 GMT, kony <spam@spam.com>

>Please excuse the troll's attempts at impersonation.

The bots are back! (i.e. it's not a human troll)

>Perhaps an example of why it's good to limit the number of
>groups one posts to.

Yep.

On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream