Help! Wrong Ram Reported After Format

Oblivix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
My Main question deals with My computer, it has 2gb's of ram installed and my BIOS recognizes I do and so does my System Information but right clicking on "My Computer" and Properties displays 256mb. Any one know a solution or what the problem is or if it will in fact affect my performance? I just formated to XP Pro from Media Center Edition which came with my laptop and had to change a BIOS setting for "enable native SATA support" for it to recognize my HD in order to format with XP Pro CD. When I turn that setting back on I get a blue screen*.
*Note. I believe this is a setting done by HP to force you to keep MCE installed on your computer.
**There is also a 3rd partition unnamed and unreadable from HP that has 444mb taken up out of 1gb could this be monitoring my system performance and altering the effects of the system and would it harm the computer to format it if I dont know whats in it? Or is this part of system recovery.

I have an image if you really need for better explanation

Mondoman

Splendid
... I just formated to XP Pro from Media Center Edition which came with my laptop and had to change a BIOS setting for "enable native SATA support" for it to recognize my HD in order to format with XP Pro CD. When I turn that setting back on I get a blue screen*.
*Note. I believe this is a setting done by HP to force you to keep MCE installed on your computer.
No need to come up with silly conspiracy theories. You're likely just missing one or more drivers for the specific hardware in your notebook. Notebooks tend to have a lot of non-standard tightly-integrated hardware in order to lower power consumption and save space while still providing acceptable performance. MS is unlikely to have the appropriate drivers as part of the collection on the OS install CD/DVD, so you'll need to get the whole set of drivers for your model from HP tech support. This will likely include one or more hard-drive-interface drivers that will need to be supplied to Win on a floppy using the F6 process during the Win installation. The lack of such a driver is likely the true cause behind your SATA BIOS setting issue -- change it back to whatever it was when you had a working system.

This whole issue is why it's normally not advisable to try to change to a different Windows OS on a notebook w/o a "turnkey" solution from the manufacturer.

As for the other partition, yes, I'd expect that to be a "recovery" partition provided in place of a real recovery CD/DVD. My other guess would be that it might be where the contents of RAM are stored during "hibernate" mode.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Some software,including operating systems,actually read the motherboard incorrectly.I had an EVGA board,with a X2 4400+and 2gigs of memory in dual channel mode.For some reason,3dmark05 would see 128 mb of ram in each of the two slots,when in fact there was 1000mb in each slot.This can be attributed to software and so I would not worry about it.As long as the bios and MY COMPUTER properties see it correctly,you have no worries.Goodluck.

Dahak

AMD X2 5600+ @ 2.8ghz(stock)
M2N32-SLI DELUXE MB
2 GIGS DDR2 800 RAM
THERMALTAKE 850WATT PSU
7950GT KO(WAITING FOR MY OTHER TO COME BACK FROM RMA)
ACER 22IN. LCD
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
80GIG/250gig SATA2 HD's
XP MCE

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
HEY i think i know what is wrong, you guysall passed something up

Msconfig can lead you to change the value of RAM that windows will utilize, the Restore Cd you used for the original windows Might have this enabled (old settings) and then you upgraded ram, (assuming the laptop is old you upgraded later and the guy who did it disabled the limit) and or maybe you just meddled with it

Msconfig ---> Boot --> advanced settings > "Max Memory to use"

Also try and download Cpu-Z it shoudl read correctly the physical memory, but if windows is limited, it WONT use more than that

if you sent the computer to be formated, then maybe they Swapped memories

try to check first! i hope this fixes IT!

jackluo923

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
If you delete it, doesn't windows recover it for you? If it didn't, won't your computer not boot? I've only modified my boot ini, but not delete the file.

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
Well, i think there is your problem ritght there, i too asumed deleting boot.ini would lead to windows not booting, seems then, that while it does boot, it has some cripling abilities, like leading to you only use 256mb or ram for windows try to create it again and or copy one from a computer with the same configuration... same windows version, same install path, i would lend you my boot.ini but now im using vista aids, sorry

Oblivix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2006
Fixed it but voided warrenty. I formated all drives including the unnamed partition and recovery drive. It appears the sytem would not allow boot.ini to go to the C:drive and only to the unnamed partition that HP installed onto the computer therfore they(HP) limited(i had no control) the amount of RAM my computer would utilize if not using the OS that came with my computer. So I formated all drives since i hope on buying a new system in about 3 months(Lawl if I get $) and the warrenty lasts just as long as that does. I have XP Pro working now and 2gb ram. HP must have done this in hopes of keeping those who purchased a OS through them to keep nothing but it(the OS) on there since it kept moving the Boot.ini to its own drive. I even tried a windows repair consol to add one but it would not be written to the c: drive upon boot-up.