kimbalicous

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Hi I need some help

I have a Toshiba satelite pro laptop and when i go to turn it on I get a error message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

you can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

i received a series of 3 cd with my computer "Recovery and Applications/Drivers cd

i have tried these and still get the same message i need some help i can't figure out what i am doing wrong

thank you

Kim

4745454b

Titan
Most OEMs don't ship you a copy of windows. What they do give you is a series of restore disks which you can use to "restore" (more like reset) your computer to exactly the way it was when you bought it. As far as I'm aware of, there is no way to use these disk to do what you want. It is possible to insert them and reset your computer, but you'll lose all your data.

The easiest thing to do at this point is either grab that file from a different computer and put it on your laptop, or use a Linux live CD to boot your laptop. Once its up, you can transfer any data files you want to save to a different machine (or burn to DVD/CD) then use the restore disks. I would also question why this happened in the first place. Either your drive is going south, or you got a nasty virus.