Help

G

I am buying my first pc.I intend to buy AMD processor.Is Thunderbird the same as Anthlon?I want at least 1GHz processor.And I also want to know its compatible motherboard.I don't know what brand is good for hardisk but I intend to buy at least 30GB DDR SDRAM.I want to play 3D game so I think I will need the excellent graphic card.Which is better,ATI Radeon 32MB DDR or nVIDIA Geforce2 GTS 32MB DDR AGP or Hercules 3D Prophet Kyro 4500 64MB?For sound card I have no idea.Give me an advice.For speakers, which of the two ,Altec Lansing ATP3 or ADA305 USB is better?For monitor,is Sony FD Trinitron 17" Flat monitor is good?For DVD/CD-RW Drive what should I choose?I intend to use intranet in my university and web browsing also.So,what networking device should I use?

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thunderbird is the name given to the 'b' and 'c' steppings of the Athlon family. The 'b' runs a 100x2mhz fsb and the 'c' runs a 133x3 fsb. Most recent Athlon processor is the athlon 4. <A HREF="http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboard/01q3/010711/index.html" target="_new">This</A> is tom's most recent article on Athlon ddr (760 chipset).

I'm not even going to touch the graphics card question lest i be lynched by either side...i think you'll be ok with any of them. dvd/cd-rw -- get something fast, that's worth the money. so is a more expensive nic, you will notice the difference on that lan. somethink from kingston, linksys or the like should do.

---Cold pizza, cold coffee, and the THG forum...oh the heartburn.---

G

I think he typo'ed there, should be 133 x 2.

Crank it up... way up!! I need that power.

FatBurger

Illustrious
They know, Juin. They were being sarcastic.

Get a 40gig 60GXP for $104 off PriceWatch. Great hard drive.

For a network card, I'd suggest Netgear. They're cheaper than Intel or 3Com network cards, and just as fast.

For a DVD drive, there seems to be no equal to the Pioneer 16x. $55 or so.

For a CD-RW, there's lots of different choices. Find out what's in your price range and we'll help you decide.

All the prices are $US, BTW. You're from...let me guess...Hong Kong?
-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside