help!!!

G

well...this may sound strange...
i've been noticing over the past few days the continous hum of my fan (the CPU fan or the CASE fan...but i guess its the CPU's)bieng a little irregular...sometimes going up...and then down is hum...i guess that reflects its rotational speed....???
well...i was not really concerned untill today something weird happened .......i heard that hum go real loud and then....SILENCE...and my computer FROZE....
i restarted..and all seems fine?????????
PS: i wasnt playing any games...just browsing the net.....and oh...i downloaded powerstrip yesterday...out of interest...but made no changes to my video card......

any suggestions?????

kanute

Distinguished
May 6, 2001
Did you happen to implement the VIA chipset temp fix using those WCRP or whatever programs or a fixed BIOS? If so, that may be the cause. I posted on this a while back because once I did the temp fix, my CPU fans began to change speed under load. I haven't had any freezing problems really though, except for a smooth scroll issue in IE.

That oughta void your warrenty!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Check your Power supply fan, actually - dust may be clogging it.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Maybe the bearings are goign in ur fan...

i have a brand new COOLERMASTER cpu fan for my AMD - socketA and mine is humming already at times.....

it gets dust in the bearings..
so...
maybe take the fan back

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--

G

well.....here is a new one...really really weird
as i said...the fan seemed irregular...i checked all the fans in the PC..they seemed ok....
TODAY...while i was browsing the net....the same happened....but this time when the computer froze.......you won't believe this....i heard the strangest sounds coming out of my speakers...different short clips of music...with static inbetween...exactly as if someone is tunning the radio..looking for a specific sataion....well...i restarted..and my PC didnt recognise my CDROM drive....it only recognised my PLEX writer....
it took another 3 restarts to recognise my CDROM.....
what the hell is going on....
PS: THIS ONLY...AND I REPEAT ONLY OCCURS WHEN I'M ON THE NET.......
HAVE I BEEN HACKED...???..OR IS HIS A VIRUS?????
i ran NAV with the latest update...nothing.........HELP!!!!!!

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
go and get zone alarm and install it..
NAV won't detect internet script kiddie
bots.

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
Heh, I also notice how my fan spins up and down every couple of hours and then works relatively quiet. For now it's been quite annoying, since I leave my pc on all the time, in the night u can hear it spinning up through the whole floor in my house :)

I am too lazy to call my dealer, will do it this week though, for now my room fan is doing just a fine job cooling my pc down to 48 C under full load (tbird 1.2@1.33)

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"