greasEdego

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2001
Help!!! I don't know what to do. My floppy drive, USB ports, Parallel Port, and my 2 Com ports don't work(Com2 and my parallel port show conflicts in device manager)!!! It's not the drivers I have that are the problem. Everything worked fine one day...then boom the next day all those problems were there! First I tried replacing the floppy drive. No go. Then I switched ribbons for the floppy and still nothing. I've gotten a new motherboard hoping that's what it was and still nothing. Actually I got the 2nd motherboard replaced because a computer technician told me it had a bad floppy controller even though I knew it didn't. And just today I replaced the power supply thinking maybe my 250 watt wasn't enough to handle my CD, DVD, and CD-RW and floppy and everything else so I got a 300. I really need this problem fixed becaues I need my floppy drive to work for school. I'm a computer science major and need to transport my computer programs to and from labs at my university and as of right now I have to keep emailing them to myself and it s really getting to be a bother. I have never seen nor heard of anything quite like I am experiencing. I like to believe I know alot about computers...well, I thought that until I encountered this. I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. The only thing left I can think of is that SOMETHING is causing a short somewhere on the board that is only shorting out those above mentioned devices. Any help, and I mean ANY would be GREATLY appreciated. I am spent for ideas so anything would be great. Thank you all for your time.

Sincerely,
Mario

P.S.
If it helps any, my specs are ECS K7VZM motherboard, AMD Duron 650, 1 128mb PC100 SDRam chip, Janton 32mb agp nvidia TNT2 card, and my usb, parallel, and com ports are all onboard as is my network card. Somebody please help me. I am in desperate need!!!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
have you tried loading bios defaults from your bios and turning the Plug and Play OS (on/off).

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
When things like that happen to me, it's always been a Window's-pane that needed to be beat. A crash and reinstall has fixed the problem every time, on too many computers to count.

You might try a repartition/reformat/reinstall.