WildRhino

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know that this is the wrong section but I have posted in cpu o/c and I have had no response yet.

I am quite desperate to get this thing working so.....

Abit KT7A Raid and Duron 700

I have just tried to close the L1 bridges on the processor with a very old mechanical pencil. It is the first time that I have tried this and I was careful not to go onto the adjoining bridge each time. The system booted perfectly, but I cannot get the computer to change the multiplier. In SOFTBIOS III I change the multiplier to 7.5 but it still posts with 7 x 100. I have taken out the cpu and gone over the bridges a further 20 times each so the layer is very evident.

What am I doing wrong? Could the pencil have a dodgy lead?Can I wipe off the lead currently on the cpu, and with what?Is there a chance that in wiping it off I may connect two of the bridges by accident ( they are far too small!)Are there ne other settings that I need to change? I was able to change the FSB yesterday, to get the cpu upto 840 but I thought that it was sfare to go with the multiplier increase.

Please help, I am keen to get this puppy up to near gig or at least 900!

WildRhino

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I really need help with this. On the Overclockers.com forum they suggested a defogger kit and a prmanent conductive pen, but shouldn't this work with a pencil?

G

Yes you can remove your graphite from the pencil. Just make sure you do a good job. I've got a conductive pen (~$10 USD) to fill in my bridges and I've been using varsol to remove portions not easily removed by scraping it off. You could do the same to be sure you've removed the graphite and then try again. After you've cleaned it all of the varsol will evaporate. I recall reading that you need to rub the pencil for ~30secs/bridge to get enough on there. I would recommend a conductive pen because pencil is not permanent. My experience is that the bridges are not that sensitive to being accidentally shorted by misplaced conductive marks.

WildRhino

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thx for the advice. I have finally managed to get the multiplier unlocked on the fourth attempt.I spent a long time cleaning the bridges with a rubber and then kept trying.They are a lot more sturdy than I first thought.