Question help

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Since each CPU is different you need to test it out by yourself 0.01V at a time.

With multiplier at 46, I'd start at 1.30V and reduce the voltage by 0.01V step. After each step, run the CPU stress test at least 10mins to make sure OC is stable and CPU doesn't go above 90°C. Repeat the process until you hit voltage that isn't stable, e.g 1.23V. Afterwards, bump up the voltage to lowest stable, which with my example would be 1.24V.

MSI also made a nice CPU OC guide, which while created for MSI MoBos, but the principal is same,
link: https://www.msi.com/blog/intel-9th-cpu-overclocking-5ghz-with-z390-motherboards

You do realize that Anandtech used TRUE Copper heatsink and replaced thermal paste with solder in their tests? With that good of a cooling, there's no wonder they can run i7-9700K at 4.6Ghz with 1.025V. Also their CPU most likely is cherry picked by Intel with very good OC capabilities since Intel send them the test sample. They didn't buy the CPU from the retail shop.

Last edited:
I know in the past Anand has tested both review samples and retail chips with not much difference between them (see 8700K OC article) . They're also transparent about their testing methods in each article.

0.01V steps is fine if you want to get really close to the limits, but you'll probably want to start with something more coarse than that if you're going to begin at a conservative 1.3V. I'd recommend starting by upping the multi and let the mobo auto voltage give you a conservative starting point.

This guy got 5.1GHz @ 1.2V which is exactly what Anand got.

All 9700K CPUs have solder TIM, that's not something anand did. I assume True Copper as in; Thermalright True Copper (120mm tower cooler) which isn't exactly "exotic".
Also, cooling shouldn't affect the VOLTAGE at a specific frequency, only the maximum frequency achievable before you hit thermal limits.

Last edited: