[SOLVED] Help...

Apr 21, 2020
Building my first computer and can't get it to power on. I can get the bios flashback to work, even with the CPU connected, but once i hook up anything else, i cannot get it to power one. Tried jumping the power switch on the board and nothing... Here's a link to my build.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gZ9RRk

Solution
So, after i did the bios flash, the computer restarted and i was able to get into the bios. I confirmed the system was recognizing all of my components. Once i shut it down, it wouldn't turn back on again. Tried to short the power pins but no response. Did the bios flash again just to get it back on, and it worked again. I'm baffled. Starting to think maybe those pins on the motherboard are faulty. Is that possible?
Are you certain you are touching the correct pins?
image.png.3731c5a73b05ef418a403c6faf308c52.png
What do the small EZ Debug LEDs (just above the 24-pin power connector) show when you boot?

EZ Debug LEDs - These LEDs indicate the status of key components during booting process. When an error is occurred, the corresponding LED stays lit until the problem is solved.

CPU - indicates CPU is not detected or fail.
DRAM - indicates DRAM is not detected or fail.
VGA - indicates GPU is not detected or fail.
BOOT - indicates the booting device is not detected or fail.

Apr 21, 2020
So, after i did the bios flash, the computer restarted and i was able to get into the bios. I confirmed the system was recognizing all of my components. Once i shut it down, it wouldn't turn back on again. Tried to short the power pins but no response. Did the bios flash again just to get it back on, and it worked again. I'm baffled. Starting to think maybe those pins on the motherboard are faulty. Is that possible?

Are you certain you are touching the correct pins?
image.png.3731c5a73b05ef418a403c6faf308c52.png

Solution
Apr 21, 2020
Definitely touching the right pins. Another trip into the bios revealed nothing i did to the bios saved after i saved it. Could a bad cmos battery prevent the power switch from working?

Apr 21, 2020
Correct. But once it reboots, everything has reverted back to its original state. For instance, i change the boot order to my USB with windows but when it restarts, it reverted back to looking for the hard disk first. I power down the computer, then it won't turn back on again unless i do the bios flashback again. The power switch pins do nothing.

Correct. But once it reboots, everything has reverted back to its original state. For instance, i change the boot order to my USB with windows but when it restarts, it reverted back to looking for the hard disk first. I power down the computer, then it won't turn back on again unless i do the bios flashback again. The power switch pins do nothing.
Are you certain you are using the BIOS flashback button correctly? Have you carefully read the "Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button" instructions in your motherboard manual (page 40)?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

Apr 21, 2020
I have ensured that the flash was done correctly. I've reseated all the components to make sure they are properly seated. Still nothing when I jump the pins, pins 6 and 8. I just touch the two pins simultaneously with a screwdriver correct?

I have ensured that the flash was done correctly. I've reseated all the components to make sure they are properly seated. Still nothing when I jump the pins, pins 6 and 8. I just touch the two pins simultaneously with a screwdriver correct?
Yes that is correct. I am just as baffled as you are. The fact that you can enter the BIOS once shows your setup is getting power and working, but when you restart it shows no signs of life at all, that does not seem to make sense. At this point you should try contacting MSI customer support on their website. They may have an idea what is wrong or offer to replace your motherboard.

Apr 21, 2020
No bent pins. So it's looking like the motherboard may need to be RMA'd. I tested the power supply, it's all good. Just those darn power pins. If the CMOS battery were shot, could it cause this problem of the power pins not working? I got the board as a gift 2 years ago so the battery has been sitting idle.

Apr 21, 2020
I mean I can't really get the far. Once i shut down the computer, i can't get it back on again to get back into the bios. Only by doing the flash again does it let me get into the bios and i don't want to keep doing the flash over and over just in case it causes more problems.

Apr 21, 2020
Happy to report i solved the problem. Was trying to power on from the wrong set of pins (they look exactly the same as the other set so i can't imagine I'm the only one to make that mistake). Thank you for your help.