[SOLVED] Help!

vlad2882

Reputable
Aug 1, 2016
Hello everybody, I don't post here often so I'm sorry if I mess up with my description. I appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Background:
Long story short my computer started freezing up during games causing me to need to shut it down, wait about 20 minutes, turn it back on to have it unfreeze. I downloaded NZXT Cam which monitored my CPU temperature and went about my business until the same thing happened again, and then I noticed that NZXT started reporting my CPU temperature to go up to 90 Degrees Celsius.

I then decided to reapply thermal paste, and see what happens. I purposely stressed my computer after and saw it go up to 97 degrees, but it wasn't freezing so I figured I did something right. Then I went about cleaning all the dust from my radiator and making sure my PC is as good as new internally, however something went wrong and my computer wasn't able to boot.

My MOBO started blinking red and telling me that I'm having DRAM and CPU issues. I started debugging and an even longer story cut even shorter, I was finally able to turn on my PC by taking out one of the RAM sticks. I went on the motherboards manual and plugged the two sticks into every possible combination 2,4 || 1,3 || 1,2 || 3,4 but it didn't matter, it only boots with one Ram stick, either Ram stick works, they are both functional, but the dual channel doesn't work anymore and I know I didn't just have 3 DIMM ports go bad on me.

Currently:
My computer is on and other than my fans sounding like they are trying to take off, the NZXT software is telling me my PC is at 92 degrees, I only have one out of my two Ram sticks in, and I'm beyond lost not sure what to do next

Components:
MOBO: MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060021-WW)
Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Snow Edition VN700M6W2N White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Solution
It sounds like a motherboard issue.
I'm thinking the high temp might not have anything to do with it....because if it's not booting.....I can't imagine the temp getting high enough to cause that....as the CPU isn't doing much at that point.
Plus you have MB lights indicating an issue.
Plus you haven't been able to get 3 RAM slots to work.

vlad2882

Reputable
Aug 1, 2016
Hello everybody, I don't post here often so I'm sorry if I mess up with my description. I appreciate any help anyone can offer me.

Background:
Long story short my computer started freezing up during games causing me to need to shut it down, wait about 20 minutes, turn it back on to have it unfreeze. I downloaded NZXT Cam which monitored my CPU temperature and went about my business until the same thing happened again, and then I noticed that NZXT started reporting my CPU temperature to go up to 90 Degrees Celsius.

I then decided to reapply thermal paste, and see what happens. I purposely stressed my computer after and saw it go up to 97 degrees, but it wasn't freezing so I figured I did something right. Then I went about cleaning all the dust from my radiator and making sure my PC is as good as new internally, however something went wrong and my computer wasn't able to boot.

My MOBO started blinking red and telling me that I'm having DRAM and CPU issues. I started debugging and an even longer story cut even shorter, I was finally able to turn on my PC by taking out one of the RAM sticks. I went on the motherboards manual and plugged the two sticks into every possible combination 2,4 || 1,3 || 1,2 || 3,4 but it didn't matter, it only boots with one Ram stick, either Ram stick works, they are both functional, but the dual channel doesn't work anymore and I know I didn't just have 3 DIMM ports go bad on me.

Currently:
My computer is on and other than my fans sounding like they are trying to take off, the NZXT software is telling me my PC is at 92 degrees, I only have one out of my two Ram sticks in, and I'm beyond lost not sure what to do next

Components:
MOBO: MSI Pro Solution Intel Z170A
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-16GVK
CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 91W BX80662I76700K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 530
Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX Extreme Performance Water / Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm (CW-9060021-WW)
Case: Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Snow Edition VN700M6W2N White Steel / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case

It sounds like a motherboard issue.
I'm thinking the high temp might not have anything to do with it....because if it's not booting.....I can't imagine the temp getting high enough to cause that....as the CPU isn't doing much at that point.
Plus you have MB lights indicating an issue.
Plus you haven't been able to get 3 RAM slots to work.

Solution

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
That kind of CPU temperature with a 240mm AIO cooler...Any overclocking? Is the water block mounted flush? Are your fans blowing warm air under load?

Your cooler's pump or coolant had probably went, if not.

Persistent high temperature might have cooked something, too - Let's hope not.