rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Ok i have the two systems below...the idea is to upgrade them both to phenom II...tbh both pc's are performing just fine but i would like a little more freedom...

My Primary rig/My Secondary rig
AMD 6000+/AMD 4400+
4GB G.Skill/2GB Infineon
Single 500GB HDD/One 30GB WD IDE and one 2.5" 55GB with a 250GB external drive to transfer between pcs
260 GTX/9800GTX+
550w Corsair/500w Rosewill
Prebuilt case/Prebuilt case

My first question is there really much of a gain from DDR3 PURELY for gaming...i will google benchmarks but i listening to your alls opinions and expirences before hand...

What im thinking i should do...is buy either a Phenom 710 or 720...after i spec search....im going to look but il ask anyways....is there any Phenom II quad cores that are worth spending the extra to jump up to if i can? i really want a quad core....keep in mind i need a motherboard recommendation as well! so what can you guys recommend...i have no bias and i would like the best overclocking board that is out...

Cheap is fine when it comes to the motherboard with me so keep that in mind....the motherboard could have sli bit it doesn't have to and it would just be a nice feature...so if sli is like only 20$ il take it but much farther from that and its not really going to be worth it...

Also what is the best and most cost vs performance cpu cooler? i really want a cool cpu but i would prefer not to burn out my wallet to do so...

Also some good case recommendations would be nice....

So what i would do is demolish both pcs and fix them back up like this

AMD 710 or 720 or quad core/AMD 6000+
4GB G.Skill/4GB of DDR2 ram from newegg
Single 500GB/Same HDDs and i might add another 120GB 2.5" IDE drive i have...
260 GTX/9800GTX+
550w Corsair/500w Rosewill
Will need to find a new case to keep things cool/Same prebuilt case

So do you guys think its a decent move?....this will allow me to remove my cpu bottleneck thats weighing performance down somewhat...and later on i can then move the primary build as a secondary pc etc....keep on going with the cycle...

I think this covers everything....if i have anymore questions il ask....

Edit: So i thought of some other info to chime in on...

I don't need a quadcore to be honest and i would like to keep the cpu and motherboards total cost to around 250$...

And i didn't mention it but both of the above pcs are running on stock OEM boards....both with some overclocking potential :D

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
DDR3 makes no difference for gaming, maybe 1% faster FPS. Its not worth the extra cost at this point.

If you are willing to count MIR, this MB and CPU combo is what I would go for at $250:
Biostar 790GX and PII 940
The PII 940 is worth the price increase IMO, its the best value in a quad core at this point in time. Quads will last longer, and you should go for a quad if you can afford it. That motherboard will also overclock quite well, as it uses the SB750, which is the best option for overclocking PII at this point.

I think I would go for an Antec 300 case, but you haven't said what your budget is so I can't really make much of a recommendation. If you can afford to spend more, look at the Coolermaster 690. If you want just the cheapest case you can get with good cooling, then get this one.

You should probably toss the Rosewill PSU, those things are just ticking time bombs. I would go for this PSU:
Antec Earthwatts EA500 500w PSU

And for a CPU cooler, I would go for this:
Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Trust me im all to eager to grab for a quad core and that would be a great pick if i had an ati card...can you help me look for a decent sli board with a 940? and from what iv read biostar isn't the most reputable company...i don't mind to bend my budget somewhat to get the best parts or a feature that is worth getting etc....and sticking with DDR2 sounds just damn fine with me :p

And i really want a reason to toss the psu...im serious because the reviews on newegg aren't knocking it and im not planning on using it with anything other than this cheap AMD 6000+ build...if i move the 940 over as a secondary pc i plan to upgrade psu first of course then but im finding it hard to believe that the rosewill psu will have problems....

Il definitely take a look at those cases...ahh i need more money....

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
I wouldn't SLI on anything but an X58 board, but if you must, then this is the board I would get:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131323

Biostar isn't the greatest MB manufacturer generally speaking, but even the worst companies come out with solid products every once in a while. That 790GX board isn't a bad product. The SB750 is the best to get for overclocking with AMD, so you should really get an AMD chipset, Nvidia chipsets tend to not overclock so well. The PSU's you have won't support SLI anyways, so if you want SLI, you will have to spend a lot more money on a good PSU, like a Corsair 750tx. I don't see the point in getting an inferior MB to allow for a function that you aren't going to be able to use...

I wouldn't run a 9800GTX+ on a 500W Rosewill, but if you are alright with running that risk, its up to you. Although if you want a reason to toss the rosewill, consider this: If you want the option of SLI, you will have to get a more powerful PSU than the rosewill or corsair PSU, a 750tx for SLI GTX 260's or a 650tx for SLI 9800GTX+'s. So if you really want SLI, then there is a reason to ditch the rosewill, and then move the 550vx to the secondary PC, and use the newer PSU in the SLI/primary PC.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Damn i lost everything i typed...here goes again

Can you please recommend me the BEST overclocking SB750 chipset? i actually planned to grab an ati card when DX11 hits as to shake things up and i will most likely stick to single card solutions so it doesn't have to support xfire

I really only wanted to try SLIing on the lower spec system as a test and just something to mess with when i handed the board down to that system...but really its too much of a waste...im also not to worried about the rosewill psu on the secondary system as it roughly draws 270watts at full load so that leaves me with a little less than 220watts to play with give or take a few....i never planned on sliing with the psus i purchased...i just wanted the best to go with the 260 and something that would power the 9800gtx+...

I apreciate the help so far Kid!

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
790X/790GX and 790FX are the two chipsets that come with the SB750. They will both probably overclock about the same, but the 790FX is a 3/4 way crossfire chipset and comes loaded with PCIeX16 slots, more than you would ever need. Its the "enthusiast gamers" chipset that AMD is pushing and will probably overclock a little bit better than the 790GX, but it will vary from board to board. The 790GX chipset is usually $50-70 cheaper, and I think its the better option. If you don't like that Biostar MB that I showed you, take a look at this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.190732
That is actually 790X, which is the same thing as 790GX, except no IGP is included.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
If that's the Rosewill rp500 model, it has piss-poor caps, no PFC, crap effeciencies (72%??? WTF???) and really poor amperages on the two +12VDC rails. Then there's the lack of connectors. Two SATA power connectors?

If those caps blow, bad things WILL happen, and not just to your PSU. And if you load the +12VDC rails, the caps WILL blow.

Now you have several reasons to get a proper PSU.

rewindlabs

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

Hmmm...i don't feel to bad as its lasted a few lan partys already :D and it fit the bill at only 23$....i think im going to sell the whole machine locally if i can find a buyer....for once im glad im in dumbf*** TN....someone has to be stupid enough to buy this thing....it plays L4D ewwww ahhhh.....

TRENDING THREADS