G

i have an internal dvd drive and an internal cdrw drive (both IDE)I want to convert both into EXTERNAL drives. The only cases/enclosures that i find are scsi. Some people tell me this is fine others say no. I am so confused and i don't want to end up with (more) useless and expensive hardware. If i can't use an scsi enclosure, where do i find one that WOULD be compatible? I would prefer something used so it would be cheaper. Any suggestions and insights would be graetly appreciated. Thanks!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you COULD build it yourself....
but i dont know....it would have to be pretty close to the case, seeing as how there is an 18" "limit" for ide cables...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you COULD build it yourself....
but i dont know....it would have to be pretty close to the case, seeing as how there is an 18" "limit" for ide cables...

-DAvid

G

Thanks for replying! i only want to make these drives external because my computer only has one bay and i haveno room for them. so in terms of keeping them close its a non-issue to me b/c i plan to keep it right next to the cpu. As to building it myself, i don't know about that. As is probably quite clear to you, i have very little idea of what i'm doing.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
hmmm...
well, if you build a box that the cd roms and so forth could fit in, and then run an ide cable to the computer, and a power cable to the box, then you should be ok
i know that there are external ide hard drive boxes...
but i dont know about external ide cdrom boxes.....
or you could always get a slightly larger case.
what you could also do, is get a used case, and just run the cables into that...and put the case next to the one you have now.
i bought my mid sized case at frys electronics for $59(US)..and that came with a powersupply.
it has 4 5 1/4 bays, and 2 3.5" bays.
not too expensive, and works fine.
what you could do is check and see if any computer stores have a case that doesnt have a powesupply, and maybe even used...for cheap..
make sure it is a mid sized atx tower.

-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Get a bigger case. The only enclosers that will work for your IDE drives are USB (too slow, 1.2MB/s) Firewire (you probably don't have a firewire interface), and parallel (expensive, and still too slow, same speed as USB). You could add a SCSI card, use external SCSI cases, and get SCSI drives, but that would be VERY expensive. So just get a bigger case.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?