Helping a friend upgrade an old computer/building a budget gaming rig

Manbutter911

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Okay everyone, I need a bit of assistance. I have a buddy of mine that would like to upgrade his computer and do a bit of gaming on it. His old rig has an Asus P5N72-T Premium nForce 780i SLI Chipset LGA775 FSB1333 DDR2 (super old mobo) and his RAM has failed plus it only supports DDR2 gimpy ram (hence the topic of upgrades).

Now, I have done some research, and from my own experiences, older mobos and chipsets are just simply not worth upgrading due to the ridiculous costs of parts and low circulation. I was thinking of looking towards a new AMD mobo/CPU for him, but I am at a bit of a loss as to where to start as I am mostly familiar with ATI and Intel stuff. That being said, I also do not know much about AMD GPU's as I don't use them and have done some searching and it seems that the good cards a little pricier than the nVidea card counter parts. So maybe a mobo with the ability to use both kinds of cards (if that exists) would be beneficial.

Basically, I'm looking for a mobo and CPU since his power supply is 1000W and his other stuff works (note, his HDD will not support 6gig sata, but since the difference is minimal, it's more of a compatibility on the mobo). Dual card support is meh, as I feel SLI is a tad over-rated and a good 2 gig card works wonders. If the cheaper mobos only support AMD GPU's, a few suggestions in that category would be nice. I know about a year ago, AMD chipset was A3, but beyond that, i know little. Any help would be great!!

Manbutter911

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
I was hoping to keep the upgrades around 300. This number may be able to vary. But if I keep it low, the odds are better this can actually happen. I know this is limiting, but the benefit is he isn't looking to do this by tomorrow, so deals can be hunted for on some things. Just want some good recommendations on amd mobos and CPU's

Manbutter911

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Wow, thanks! I was just hoping for some input on AMD stuff, didn't expect hunting help. I had been looking at some things here and there for prices. The problem is though, that doesn't include a gpu and he is rocking gt 8600's so those definitely need some upgrading. That is why I was leaning toward an AMD CPU in hopes of snagging a mid range quad core with enough for a mid range graphics card

First, my Intel solution.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($97.27 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H81M-DGS R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($43.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $311.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-24 11:27 EST-0500

Then AMD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor ($77.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88M-HD+ Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard ($54.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $302.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-24 11:30 EST-0500

The GPU is chosen for it's low power and no need for PCIe power connectors. What model is the PSU?

Manbutter911

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014
Obviously I know these prices are no longer valid (although probably still within that price range unless it was a super sale) He has a 1000W PSU so there is no issue with power hogging GPU's.

A little inside into the AMD mobos would be much appreciated too. I have looked around since then at some, but I suppose I haven't done a ton of research seeing as this will happen eventually, just not sure when. What are the current AMD board chip sets and what does the "FM2+" mean?

Are there better AMD boards than others? (I know everyone has their own taste in brands) Are there ones to shy away from?

artyor

Reputable
Dec 2, 2014
Hello,

If you want to go with AMD CPU for low price, go for FX-6300. That CPU with combination of good GPU can handle any game on medium to high settigns with more than stable FPS. THe recommended GPU for this CPU is R9 270x, or R9 280x...Also, if you want a bit better CPU, try with FX 8350

Cheers