[SOLVED] Helping a Newb on New Build $1000-$1200 Gaming/Work PC - Qs on RTX 30+

Aug 19, 2020
Hi All,

First time posting a build list looking for advice. Actually, I don't really know what to suggest for my needs outside of listing parts from articles I've found suggesting "Best [insert part] for gaming 2020". Definitely could use help here. Thanks in advance.

Current Setup: on this Asus Rog Strix GL502 Gaming Laptop about 4 years ago to this date. At that time, I needed mobility which is why I got it, and now I'm in a position to build a PC.

Current Performance: The main game (90% of time) I'm playing now is COD: Warzone (looking forward to COD: Blackops). With everything on the graphics tab either disabled or turned to low -- at idle in-game it runs at around ~60fps, however, when there's any engagement or action the fps instantly avgs between ~35 - ~50 fps. You can imagine how that can be frustrating. The second game I play is OW (10% of time) and that runs at 160 fps easy, no problems there. Laptop also locks up when I have COD running in the background with a few chrome tabs open like my gmail and a twitch stream. It just seems that my system is at it's limit when it's only trying to run at least 1 program.

Question:
  1. GPU - I'm excited for the announcement of the new RTX 30 cards (I can definitely see myself picking up a 3070 for sure, maybe a 3080 if it made sense), since I'm building a new system, I wouldn't mind investing in it in order to have a longer shelf life. I'm just worried that they may be out of stock on release day, and I won't be able to get access to one for 1-3 months out (until 2021?).
    1. Should I pick up a basic GPU that's low in price (I've heard of the GTX 1660 - Found on #9 on this list) so I can just play for now, and pick up the 3070 once benchmarks, reviews, and stock are out?
  2. CPU - Similar to waiting for the new RTX30 cards, I heard that AMD will be releasing their new line up this or next month (by EoY). Would the performance difference be so different that I want just another ~month for it?
  3. Recycle/Resell - I want to be a good person and not just throw out old computer parts in the trash. I'm assuming since my old system (and I have others) are 5+ years old that the resell value is around $0. What's the best advice on giving away/recycling/donating old computer parts?

Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Sept/Oct (Ideally, but can wait till Nov/Dec if there's a really good reason why (price/new parts)

Budget Range: $1000 (able to edge up to $1200 if the performance increase justifies it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 1. Gaming 2. Work (Productivity + BI tools) 3. Editing of family video/images

Are you buying a monitor: No, I have AW3420DW WQHD 3440 x 1440 at 120 Hz ready to go. Any feedback/thoughts on it?

Parts to Upgrade: New build.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg, Amazon, B&H, anything US. (There's no microcenter near me, so I'm looking for everything to be shipped)

Parts Preferences: No Preference, outside of my monitor supporting G-Sync

Overclocking: Nope. Keeping it simple.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: WQHD 3440 x 1440 at 120 Hz

Additional Comments: Looking for it to be discrete. Family man now with a baby - don't need all the RGB, has to be quiet, and discrete look as wife likes to remind me that the house isn't a man cave or my college dorm (from many years ago).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Same reasons for what my main usage is:
  1. Gaming - Looking for better FPS to play at a higher level at bare minimum 140 and anything more is a bonus. Currently, play FPS games like OW and COD. For single player games like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order or Horizon Zero dawn (games with good narrative), I'd like to play them with at least medium settings and if not higher. I can't really enjoy the visuals as it stands today.
  2. Work - Shelter in place until 6/2021, and I tend to run with plenty of tabs open, BI tools that run client side, and tons of video meetings.
  3. Editing - I have a Sony A6600 and take tons of photos/videos. I want to be able to piece them together to enjoy the memories.
Parts List:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
GPU: Ideally RTX 3700 or 3800? IF not, GTX 1660 (for a temp)
Motherboard: No Idea
Memory: No Idea
SSD Storage (for OS + Main Games: No Idea
Standard Storage (Everything Else): No Idea
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:

Solution
Hi All,

First time posting a build list looking for advice. Actually, I don't really know what to suggest for my needs outside of listing parts from articles I've found suggesting "Best [insert part] for gaming 2020". Definitely could use help here. Thanks in advance.

Current Setup: on this Asus Rog Strix GL502 Gaming Laptop about 4 years ago to this date. At that time, I needed mobility which is why I got it, and now I'm in a position to build a PC.

Current Performance: The main game (90% of time) I'm playing now is COD: Warzone (looking forward to COD: Blackops). With everything on the graphics tab either disabled or turned to low -- at idle in-game it runs at around ~60fps, however, when there's any...
Hi All,

Current Performance: The main game (90% of time) I'm playing now is COD: Warzone (looking forward to COD: Blackops). With everything on the graphics tab either disabled or turned to low -- at idle in-game it runs at around ~60fps, however, when there's any engagement or action the fps instantly avgs between ~35 - ~50 fps. You can imagine how that can be frustrating. The second game I play is OW (10% of time) and that runs at 160 fps easy, no problems there. Laptop also locks up when I have COD running in the background with a few chrome tabs open like my gmail and a twitch stream. It just seems that my system is at it's limit when it's only trying to run at least 1 program.

Question:
  1. GPU - I'm excited for the announcement of the new RTX 30 cards (I can definitely see myself picking up a 3070 for sure, maybe a 3080 if it made sense), since I'm building a new system, I wouldn't mind investing in it in order to have a longer shelf life. I'm just worried that they may be out of stock on release day, and I won't be able to get access to one for 1-3 months out (until 2021?).
    1. Should I pick up a basic GPU that's low in price (I've heard of the GTX 1660 - Found on #9 on this list) so I can just play for now, and pick up the 3070 once benchmarks, reviews, and stock are out?
  2. CPU - Similar to waiting for the new RTX30 cards, I heard that AMD will be releasing their new line up this or next month (by EoY). Would the performance difference be so different that I want just another ~month for it?
  3. Recycle/Resell - I want to be a good person and not just throw out old computer parts in the trash. I'm assuming since my old system (and I have others) are 5+ years old that the resell value is around $0. What's the best advice on giving away/recycling/donating old computer parts?
Approximate Purchase Date: e.g.: Sept/Oct (Ideally, but can wait till Nov/Dec if there's a really good reason why (price/new parts)

Budget Range: $1000 (able to edge up to $1200 if the performance increase justifies it)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 1. Gaming 2. Work (Productivity + BI tools) 3. Editing of family video/images

Are you buying a monitor: No, I have AW3420DW WQHD 3440 x 1440 at 120 Hz ready to go. Any feedback/thoughts on it?

Parts to Upgrade: New build.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes
Please note that if you're using an OEM license of Windows, you will need a new one when buying a new motherboard.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg, Amazon, B&H, anything US. (There's no microcenter near me, so I'm looking for everything to be shipped)

Parts Preferences: No Preference, outside of my monitor supporting G-Sync

Overclocking: Nope. Keeping it simple.

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: WQHD 3440 x 1440 at 120 Hz

Additional Comments: Looking for it to be discrete. Family man now with a baby - don't need all the RGB, has to be quiet, and discrete look as wife likes to remind me that the house isn't a man cave or my college dorm (from many years ago).

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Same reasons for what my main usage is:
  1. Gaming - Looking for better FPS to play at a higher level at bare minimum 140 and anything more is a bonus. Currently, play FPS games like OW and COD. For single player games like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order or Horizon Zero dawn (games with good narrative), I'd like to play them with at least medium settings and if not higher. I can't really enjoy the visuals as it stands today.
  2. Work - Shelter in place until 6/2021, and I tend to run with plenty of tabs open, BI tools that run client side, and tons of video meetings.
  3. Editing - I have a Sony A6600 and take tons of photos/videos. I want to be able to piece them together to enjoy the memories.
Parts List:

CPU:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
GPU: Ideally RTX 3700 or 3800? IF not, GTX 1660 (for a temp)
Motherboard: No Idea
Memory: No Idea
SSD Storage (for OS + Main Games: No Idea
Standard Storage (Everything Else): No Idea
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:
Assuming you can get a RTX 3070 for $500, a list like this would work for your budget. Upgradeable to Zen 3 later on. You'll have to use windows with the watermark until you can pay for the license.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($139.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($75.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.99 @ Adorama)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Phanteks PH-F140SP_BBK 82.1 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: RTX 3070 ($500.00)
Total: $1262.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-04 22:47 EDT-0400

Solution