Helps with Aftermarket GPU cooler

bourgeogeese

Prominent
Dec 17, 2017
I have a MSI GTX 970 armor 4gd5t. The fan on my cooler recently stopped working, so I thought it would be great excuse to get an aftermarket cooler. I opened up the card and found that the VRAM, or what I think is the VRAM chips, aren't cooled and neither is anything besides the chip. Do I need to put on the VRAM heatsinks if my last cooler didn't have any? My aftermarket cooler is a Arctic Accelero Xtreme iii

Solution
As long as there is similar airflow over the chips to what the stock cooler had then no you don't need to, but it won't hurt to put them on anyway.
Although the heatsink may not have been directly cooling anything but the GPU the cooler design often means some of the air passing through the heatsink will move over other components and cool them a little.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
As long as there is similar airflow over the chips to what the stock cooler had then no you don't need to, but it won't hurt to put them on anyway.
Although the heatsink may not have been directly cooling anything but the GPU the cooler design often means some of the air passing through the heatsink will move over other components and cool them a little.

Solution