Hercules 3D Prophet 4500 and Flight Sim Performanc

Salsa86

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I'm kinda curious what type of performance we can expect to see from this 3d chipset in our flightsims...
(http://www4.tomshardware.com/graphic/01q2/010425/index.html)

considering that this 3d chip generates its performance advantage through extreme Z axis optimization and all flight sims generally involve a fairly large amount of z rendering.

The z-optimization method the card uses, involves a pre-processing of the z-buffer... because flight sims won't present much of an opportunity to streamline any Z axis renderings my initial guess is that this card won't fair too well in an expansive flight sim environment.... any input?...

I've seen plenty of benchmarks for the card and I'm well aware of the results in a 32bit high resolution environment, but the benchmarks were generally performed in FPS's where there are plenty of opportunities for z-optimization.... I was wondering if anyone had seen a site providing flight sim benchmarks for this card...
I have an inclination to believe that this card won't perform too well in flight sims..

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Flight sims are much more limited by CPU power then video card capability. Still the Kyro2 great FSAA would be excellent with a Flight Simulator. Only potential problem I see with the Kyro2 is the Anisotropic filtering which effectively removes moving mosaic patterns in the distance and greatly enhances distance textures. Still on a flight simulator the Kyro2 should excell especially with FSAA turned on. My vote is very positive. Still I am like you and would like to see some kind of review including Flight Sims, 2d games, 2d ability and video capability.

G

noko you are saying like kyro 2 don't have anisotropic filtering...
16 tap anisotropic filtering is one feature of kyro 2(better than 8 tap anisotropic filtering of geforce 2), bacause there are performance penalitys (with kyro) with anisotropic filtering you should force texture compression (kyro is the only one that can provide "forcing texture compression"), for good anisotropic results ...

why don't you use trilinear filtering and FSAA, that will be really eye candy !!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 04/30/01 05:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Hopefully someone will be able to test what you said. Agreed FSAA adds eye candy to a flight simulator. Will check out flightsim.com to see if any disscussions are going on there about this.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Check out this special report at flightsim.com:

<A HREF="http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?3cTkz00p=main/special/fs8hands.htm" target="_new">http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?3cTkz00p=main/special/fs8hands.htm</A>

Appear the next major update of Flight Simulator is FS 2002. Look at those screen shots!! Makes your month fall open. Also by reading the article it flys on any GF2 card. Looks like Microsoft is designing a Hardware T&L flight simulator which means that on a non T&L card the performance will be much less. This more detailed FlightSimulator2002 runs faster than FS2000 on an equivilent system that is if you have a GF2 (T&L card) card. I estimate it will be out latter this year.

So microsoft new games are be based on GF2 technology meaning hardware T&L.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/01/01 00:31 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

another T&L game?
if tribes 2,mdk 2,seriously sam, are good representation of T&L games then kyro 2 will be great on that Fligh simulator !
;)

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Serious sam is one of the worst T&L games ever. It uses less T&L functions than even the early T&L adaptations.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

<font color=blue>Serious sam is one of the worst T&L games ever. It uses less T&L functions than even the early T&L adaptations.</font color=blue>

Or is it because this game is so fill rate intensive (many texture layers) (thus low bandwidth left for T&L), T&L will have eaten bandwidth for that "precious" fill rate...
It was a compromise !!!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
nope! It doesn't use as many T&L functions as it could have. It processes most of the stuff on the CPU.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>