Here’s How We Booted Windows 10 in 4.9 Seconds (Now, Beat Us)

Status
Not open for further replies.
you know, I put an 850 evo in my kids asus laptop at it boots as fast or faster with fast-boot. we hit the button and it's almost instant. he loves that stupid laptop. when he got it, it had a 5400 rpm in it... lol, he hated it. i could not believe it once I installed the ssd and windows 10 fresh. I was stunned. i did a bunch of timings with my stopwatch, not that accurate but still, 3-5 seconds boot to usable is amazing.

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Here's How I rebooted Windows 10 in 4.5 Minutes:
(Now, Beat Me)

2012 13" Macbook Pro 9,2
Windows 10 Pro via Boot Camp
Restart from Desktop to Desktop in 2:29
Not usable until the 5400 rpm hard drive goes down from 100% utilization at 4:27

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016

Yes. You qualify because you used a combination of Hardware and Software. Albeit, non-traditionally.

spdragoo

Expert
Ambassador
Although the NVMe drives are measurably faster, I have to say that most users (like me) aren't really going to notice the 1-1.5 second reduction in boot time. If I'm that much of a d****bag that I'm going to complain about a SATA SSD taking 6-7 seconds to boot vs. 5 seconds for an NVMe SSD, I just need to keep my opinion to myself.

geekinchief

Expert
Ambassador
Sep 10, 2008
I don't think booting a VM should count. It's from hitting the power button to Windows desktop appearing. There's little or no POST time on VMs.

chrpai

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
Isn't this typical? I can't say I go around measuring my boottime because it hasn't been an issue in years. I have a laptop with a core i7 and SSD and it's ready to log me in just moments after I pressed the power button.

These days the problem seem to be more trying to get into bios setup screens, safe modes, boot network, book usb and so on because it all flies by so fast.

USAFRet

Titan
Numbers like this provide a good look into how little Optane, or even the NVMe drives, really benefit over standard SATA III SSD.

The uber fast Optane is only 1.17 sec faster than the garden variety 860 EVO SATA III. But at 7x the price.
The 970 is only half second faster than the 860.

oytqB8h.png

Diminishing returns.

lordsnake

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
My system already boots in about 6 seconds, which is more than fast enough. Making it boot 1-2 seconds quicker is going to make no difference in my life whatsoever, so really not worth spending on.

I currently have a Samsung 860 evo SSD.

Colif

Win 11 Master

You can access all of those menus from inside windows 10

Bios screen -
go to settings/update & security/recovery
click Restart now button under Advanced Startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose UEFI firmware interface
PC should restart and put you in the BIOS

Safe mode
under advanced start up, click Restart now button under Advanced Startup
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up options
hit the restart button
choose a safe mode (it doesn't matter which) by using number associated with it.
Pc will restart and load safe mode

Boot USB
Put USB in PC
under advanced start up, click Restart now button under Advanced Startup
Choose Use a Device
pick USB from list, PC will restart and boot from USB.

what do you mean by Boot network?

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Taking video

970 EVO is the third in the chart. The 970 PRO is just slightly faster.

D

Deleted member 217926

I just read the article 3 times and either I fail comprehension or the article fails to mention how the times were calculated? Had to find it in the comments?

Wouldn't it be amazing if there was free software, available for years, that would calculate boot times for you and avoid the hassle of taking video......

http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

OK to be fair it ONLY calculates Windows boot times but motherboards vary greatly in POST times.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Brand new install of Win10Pro on Samsung 840 Pro booted to internet access in 8 seconds. After almost 5 years worth of additions to the startup, things like Cam, One Drive, Dropbox, Office, Adobe software, Steam bootstrap, nvidia drivers, RealTemp, AV, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, 7-Zip and some few more assorted apps and drivers, that same boot process now takes 23 seconds to get to internet access. Welcome to the Real World. 4.5 seconds would be nice but will only last for a few minutes, right upto the point where normal usage apps, programs, drivers all get involved.

Sep 25, 2018
Does windows 10 have the wait for animation code like windows 7?

I know windows would wait for the loading animation to complete one cycle and you could disable that.

stdragon

Admirable

I'm going to guess that was in reference to PXE Booting into a WinPE environment. Even then, it's both extremely slow, and not even the full Win10 OS. So either way, it wouldn't qualify.

sevenalive

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Your monitor can actually slow boot times. My dell 4k adds about 6 seconds compared to just my Samsung 4k! Monitors slow to wake delay the boot process.

Status
Not open for further replies.