Here Are The 'Mafia III' PC System Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Those with an older GPU don’t need to worry about upgrading anytime soon, as the game requires Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 and AMD's Radeon HD 7870 at a minimum."

It might physically RUN on those cards, but I'm betting to have anywheres near a good game experience, you'd need something more powerful.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
Sorry, I'm not buying that an i7 is recommended to run this game. Most benchmarks I've seen show virtually no difference in framerate between an i5 and i7. i7 sometimes even scores a few fps *lower*. In fact, most games don't even benefit from quad core - and will run fine on a dual core (quad core often shows a meagre 5-15% increase in speed), but that's a whole other debate.

dstarr3

Distinguished

While that has certainly been true in the past, things are starting to change now that consoles have more than 4 cores to work with. Games are starting to leverage all cores available, which is a persistent trait once ported to the PC. So, now that the lowest-on-the-totem-pole consoles have finally taken up mutli-core processing, the entire industry is finally free to start making some compatible code.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
i5 vs i7 is just 2MB of cache and perhaps hyperthreading depending on the model. Really not much difference if clockspeed requirement is listed.

A 2GHz quad core is more useful for current games than a 3.2 GHz dual core - from what I could bench on my oldie Athlon II X4, at least, which gives me some leeway when it comes to core configuration and clock speed in BIOS. Hyperthreading may help a lot when it comes to resolving that difference (thus why an i3 can be seen as a minimum for gaming for some), but a quad core is pretty much required nowadays.

Note that I also have an i5@4.2GHz, with higher IPC and clock than the AMD X4, but while the i5 is a definite improvement over the AMD X4, I see less difference between them as quad cores than between the X4@2.0GHz and it as an X2@3.2GHz.

*roll eyes*
Minimum and Recommended pc requirements. Shows no resolution targeted, no FPS targeted, no in game settings. This is a subjective opinion from a PR standpoint.

With games today being sometimes total crap console ports not running on hardware 5 times to 10 times more powerful even at 1080p, compleatly broken games on release and a long list of etc's, giving some in-concrete data on PC requirements is like explaining to the Titanic passengers where are the peanuts while the ship is sinking.

It tells you as much as graphical fidelity based on that screenshot.

G

I am sure you will get better performance and stable run under Windows 7. I am glad Windows 7 is still a minimum requirement...i would not let even enemies deal with atrocity called Windows 10.

Sorry but the PS3 also had 6 SPEs meaning that it could run 6 threads as well.
The new consoles run their cores at like 1.5Ghz which is ridiculous for today's standards and to boot they are very weak cores,you can run 3-4 of these threads on a single desktop core much faster then the consoles could run them on 3-4 separate cores.

The real problem is that the consoles are non multitasking environments,the OS runs separately on two cores and on no other core while the games run on the remaining six cores and nowhere else while windows is a multitasking environment,everything runs everywhere.
This tempts the industry into using very dirty,cheap tricks to make games run somewhat reasonably on the consoles but these tricks mess with the windows task manager making games run horrible.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
"I wish companies would breakdown min and max specs for different resolutions such as 1080p/1440p/4k. That would be nice."

I wish companies would optimize games like they used to and add more eye candy. There's a good reason I stopped paying more than $10 for a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.