Here Come Nvidia GT 1030 Cards, For The Basics; EVGA Outs Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

that's a great point.
good media center card if you don't want to do any gaming, just watch video files.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm glad these don't use GDDR3, at least. I sure hope those days are behind us.

Just last year, my employer replaced my Dell workstation with a new model featuring a Nvidia Quadro card with GDDR3. WHY?!?

Joseph_206

Prominent
May 17, 2017
Finally. I hate Intel GPU drivers. Performance-wise, they should be pretty decent. However, I've run into too many situations where the GPU drivers just didn't cooperate, or I hit some edge case. Also, some high-end CPUs don't have an integrated GPU, plus nVidia tends to perform the best in Linux. Also, I do like that AMD has been stepping up in this area as well.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
In the workstation I mentioned above, the CPU is an E5-series Xeon. Since those lack integrated graphics, a separate graphics card was required. They gave me entry-level, because I couldn't justify anything better. Of course, it's twice as expensive because it's Quadro-branded and that's what Dell offers in their workstations, because it's a "workstation" card (even though GDDR3).

Oh, and all cell phone SoCs have GPUs, as you'll no doubt know. Qualcomm makes the Adreno GPUs, Apple licenses Imagination's PowerVR GPUs (not for much longer), and ARM licenses the Mali GPUs. They all have fairly modern feature sets. I'd imagine the top-end models could hold their own against Intels' iGPUs. Also, there a Chinese mobile GPU maker, called Vivante.

Also, Raspberry Pi is ARM-based, and uses Broadcom's VC4 GPU. That's quite dated, but at least the software stack (and firmware) is fully open source.

So, no reason to think ARM-based desktops are any more likely to use these than Intel boxes.

Glad to hear. My GTX 750 Ti in my HTPC can't do 60fps 4k playback thru HDMI, so I've been debating whether I should get a new card or not, but now that the GT 1030 is out, that might be a solid choice.

Also Zotac apparently has low profile cards too if that is a concern: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/zotac-low-profile-gt-1030-graphics-card,34433.html

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

None of Nvidia's current Quadro lineup uses GDDR3.
What model do you have?

Awesome. I'm "investing" this summer with an extreme 4K home theater makeover that was long overdue (HTPC, LG OLED, BD player, receiver) and have been waiting for LG's OLED 10-bit HDR panels and 60FPS at 4K through HDMI 2.x. I'm most interested in passive cooling as the HTPC will not be a gaming box.

Where is AMD's low profile competition? As far as I know, AMD's RX 550 series do not offer a low profile alternative like these 1030s do. With that said, I'd still like to see a direct performance comparison between the two GPU series.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

This was last year, so it was the Maxwell-based Quadro K620. The GPU isn't too bad (equivalent to GTX 750), but it's clearly hamstrung by the memory. For my purposes (standard desktop productivity stuff + video playback), it's adequate.

My older Linux workstation had a Quadro 600, which I replaced with an old AMD HD 6850 I had lying around. That definitely felt like an upgrade, using KDE 5 w/ full effects at 2560x1440. Even using the open source drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.