Here Is What You Need To Run Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? NEED UEFI? that CANT be right... but may be that's the MS cunning plan.. "yes win 7 and and 8 can all have it as free update" knowing full well that most cant update as will need new Mobo!!! that's got to be wrong. EVEN MS cant be THAT crazy.. can they?

I run it on my laptop which does not have UEFI so I don't get why they said that. It strictly says BIOS.

maban

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I'm so sick of the way Tom's does pictures. I have to click a small, almost unreadable image to get to an even smaller unrecognizable thumbnail to get to a new not-quite-maximized window just to be able to see something that should have been viewable on the page I was looking at initially.

Deus Gladiorum

Distinguished
I'm so sick of the way Tom's does pictures. I have to click a small, almost unreadable image to get to an even smaller unrecognizable thumbnail to get to a new not-quite-maximized window just to be able to see something that should have been viewable on the page I was looking at initially.

Yepp, agreed. Tom's needs to update this, because it's beyond annoying.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
What? NEED UEFI? that CANT be right... but may be that's the MS cunning plan.. "yes win 7 and and 8 can all have it as free update" knowing full well that most cant update as will need new Mobo!!! that's got to be wrong. EVEN MS cant be THAT crazy.. can they?

If you have bought or build your PC within the last 4-5 years, it's got UEFI support. And there's nothing wrong with throwing legacy boot out, UEFI is vastly superior. In combination with GPT it finally allowed me to get rid of the annoying 4 primary partition limitation and struggle between Windows and Linux bootloaders on my dual-boot setups - now the UEFI partition takes care of that and both OSs are happy.

Wait, so we NEED an UEFI motherboard now to run it? So I can't install it on any of my older windows 7 computers?

... and? You can't possibly expect them to cater to all sorts of obsolete tech. Windows 7 still has support till 2020, just keep using it until these PCs die.

----

Meanwhile, I'm annoyed to see there's STILL a 32-bit Windows planned, what will it take to make MS drop it already?

Davrosyd

Reputable
Mar 20, 2015
For those who are confuse about the UEFI requirements...

You need the UEFI for "Secure Boot".. (This was stated clearly in the article above... )

Any Questions?

For those who are confuse about the UEFI requirements...

You need the UEFI for "Secure Boot".. (This was stated clearly in the article above... )

May be you the one who needs read the article.. read all of this bit,...
"The only change between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 for system requirements on the desktop is the mandate of UEFI v2.3.1. Windows 8.1 was required to have UEFI v2.3.1 for Secure Boot, but this was an optional feature. In Windows 10 this is no longer optional."
Any questions?
Any Questions?

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014
Wait, so we NEED an UEFI motherboard now to run it? So I can't install it on any of my older windows 7 computers?

So you telling me you installed windows 7 on pc that was running windows xp and now you scream cause why?

Yes you need a UEFI BIOS. Any pc you recently bought within the last 4-5 years or any pc your build will have a UEFI BIOS.
"
if you have not, get with the times. How much longer do you expect MS to support such old tech. I am sure you still want support for your old dot printer too right?

SMH

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
"Smartphones have a different list of requirements for Windows 10. ...... but with a resolution of 2560 x 2048, you will need at least 4 GB of RAM."
Is that a typo? otherwise i predict a tiny tiny market for windows 10 in smartphones.

Emanuel Elmo

Reputable
Mar 21, 2014

OH NO!!!!!, you mean you need tech that is 4-5 years old to be able to install windows. Now that is just garbage. I should be able to install windows 10 on my old commodore. MS is just crazy for this.

or crap you mean I can not update my xp machine to run windows 10. OH NO!!!! My 12 year old hardware should really be ready for windows 10.

I wonder if you too have an old DOT matrix printer that you use for printing office 365 word file.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
Judging from the slides it seems like Uefi + secure boot is required for oems but its optional to allow the user to turn it of so I guess that it doesn't apply to upgrading an existing pc to windows 10 or installing windows 10 on a pc you build yourself. Personally though I don't like secure boot, uefi is fine as its justt a more modern alternative to a bios but secure boot in my opinion does not offer any protection worth the restrictions.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

So you telling me you installed windows 7 on pc that was running windows xp and now you scream cause why?

Yes you need a UEFI BIOS. Any pc you recently bought within the last 4-5 years or any pc your build will have a UEFI BIOS.
"
if you have not, get with the times. How much longer do you expect MS to support such old tech. I am sure you still want support for your old dot printer too right?

SMH

the problem is all my hardware is MORE than capable enough to run the os, but something insignificant to my performance is making it so i cant...

i was honestly going to hold on the the 10 license for a year after i got it just so i could make sure 10 didn't screw anything i need up like 7 did (no cascading windows option still annoys me) but now that i cant run it acording to this, i dont even have to care... nice.

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I have the Crosshair IV Etreme mobo and its just a regular bios. Don't feel like upgrading it as I got my Phenom x6 at 4.2Ghz, 32GB or ram and supports 3x16x PCIE 2.0 at same time. Upgrading the whole system over a bios issue not good. Wish i had an extra HDD to test it first.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I am a huge supporter of getting rid of old systems in the name of progress, but come on i had a gaming PC from 2008 that did not have a UEFI.

Before getting rid of older BIOS were's there other things that needed to be chopped, i don't know like PS/2 port, VGA, DVI, USB 1.0, Toslink.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015

I am running W10 Tech Preview on my PC, you do not need to use Metro at all.

Believe me it is THAT good, MS did a wonderful job.

I hated W8, whoever was behind it should hide in shame, but W10 is honestly great.

trifler

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2003

I run it on my laptop which does not have UEFI so I don't get why they said that. It strictly says BIOS.

Guys, it says it's required to use the Secure Boot feature. It doesn't say it's required to run the computer. Although, I admit it's easy to mis-read it that way.

joeb0b

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

"

SMH

There is plenty of hardware out there that is over powered for 99% of tasks that does not have UEFI, including my 3 yr old (younger than your 4-5 yr old quote) i7 sandy bridge laptop with 16gb ram.

Also Dot Matrix printers are used commonly by many institutions and businesses today because they do things that no other printer can, like continuous check printing, continuous reports, multi-part NCR forms etc.. You can buy one brand new today, even with usb ports along side the parallel port.

It used to be a lot faster until Build 9926 came along, now it's about equal to Windows 8.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
To all the ppl who are complaining about the UEFI requirement firstly you most likely will be able to switch out your motherboard for less than a total system upgrade and have it work with a newer motherboard with an UEFI on it that still is compatable with all of your hardware but if you are still using like DDR2 RAM or before and/or a very old Intel socket and/or a AGP video card then yes you will have to do a total system upgrade

joeb0b

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014
Before getting rid of older BIOS were's there other things that needed to be chopped, i don't know like PS/2 port, VGA, DVI, USB 1.0, Toslink.

What is wrong with Toslink? My pre-hdmi Marantz reciever (which isn't cheap) still has the same high quality audio output it always has. I can't understand why anyone would want to spend over $1k on a new quality amp just to get an hdmi input. Throwing out old tech that perfectly does it's job just to have something new is a complete waste of money. P/S2, I can give ya that but there are also plenty of great DVI monitors in use today where a user would get no benefit from a connector change. Change for the sake of change is pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.