[SOLVED] Here we go again!

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
So in february i made a post about my computer sounding like a jetplane. Eventually with lots of help from you guys, programmes was uninstalled, others installed, fan curves adjusted in bios etc. It was again quiet and nice, and running fine even when gaming...keyword here being "was". Fast forward less than 1 month and things started to become really noisy again.

I havent even bothered going on the computer to watch youtube the last week due to the noise. As we speak I just closed down Sea Of Thieves, cus i cant be bothered with the unbearable noise. I have no clue whats going on, and why its being so freaking noisy. Its really demotivating, and I really dont want anything to do with this bs atm.

All I need to do is clicking a games icon and I gotta get my phone ready to call NASA and inform them of an unscheduled launch. By the time game is up and running im pretty sure my computers mentality is already in the stratosphere and beyond. At this point my CPU temps are barely hitting 60 degrees.

Anyone got any ideas? Atm im between wiping everything and reinstalling windows or throwing the whole damn thing out the window.

Previous thread for those interested; https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/my-little-fighter-jet.3572445/#post-21572418

A little specs for the spec lovers;

CPU: intel i7 4790K
Motherboard: Asus Z97-P
Ram: HyperX Fury DDR3 1600mhz 16GB (currently 8GB until my new ram arrives)
SSD/HDD: Crucial BX100 250GB SSD, Samsung 1TB HDD and Hitachi 750MB HDD
GPU: Sapphire Radeon TRI-X R9 390X 8GB "OC"
PSU: Cooler Master G750M, 750W
CPU Cooler: MasterLiquid ML240R RGB
Chassis: Chieftec Scorpion II Gaming

Solution
If you have changed driver versions, updated, installed new, whatever, or updated the utility you use to control the GPU fans, then it will reset your custom fan curve profile. I'd suggest you RE-assign a custom fan curve profile for the GPU fans using Trixx or Afterburner, after making sure you have the most recent driver version installed from the AMD website for your card model.

Doing a clean install of the GPU drivers is probably not a bad idea.

How to setup a custom fan curve for your graphics card. Two resources here.

And here...
It might be helpful if you were to identify WHICH FANS are ramping up and becoming noisy?

Windows shouldn't have ANYTHING at all to do with fan speed or operation, unless you are (against most common sense recommendations) using some desktop utility to control fan speeds. Fan speeds for case fans, CPU cooler fans or radiator fans should usually be controlled and tuned from within the BIOS, and when that IS the case, wiping or reinstalling Windows is unlikely to have much if anything to do with it UNLESS you have some kind of infection that is causing a major drain and a high load on your system resources.

I'd start by doing full system scans using your antivirus or malware scanner. Be sure to update all definitions FIRST, before performing any scans.

Make sure you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed. If you don't, then it would be advisable to research HOW to update, and do so.

How old/how long in service, is that ML240R cooler?

Have you made ANY hardware changes or done anything such as laying the case on it's side or removing the cooler to clean, that might have moved an air bubble into the pump area of the cooler?

What do both cooler lines feel like after it's been on for a while?

Where is the pump wiring connected on the motherboard and is that header in the BIOS that the pump header is connected to set for full time 100% operation or is it set to variable speed operation?

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
It might be helpful if you were to identify WHICH FANS are ramping up and becoming noisy?

Windows shouldn't have ANYTHING at all to do with fan speed or operation, unless you are (against most common sense recommendations) using some desktop utility to control fan speeds. Fan speeds for case fans, CPU cooler fans or radiator fans should usually be controlled and tuned from within the BIOS, and when that IS the case, wiping or reinstalling Windows is unlikely to have much if anything to do with it UNLESS you have some kind of infection that is causing a major drain and a high load on your system resources.

I'd start by doing full system scans using your antivirus or malware scanner. Be sure to update all definitions FIRST, before performing any scans.

Make sure you have the most recent motherboard BIOS version installed. If you don't, then it would be advisable to research HOW to update, and do so.

How old/how long in service, is that ML240R cooler?

Have you made ANY hardware changes or done anything such as laying the case on it's side or removing the cooler to clean, that might have moved an air bubble into the pump area of the cooler?

What do both cooler lines feel like after it's been on for a while?

Where is the pump wiring connected on the motherboard and is that header in the BIOS that the pump header is connected to set for full time 100% operation or is it set to variable speed operation?

Sorry for the late reply - works been crazy lately, and had no energy to even get started with the computer.

Its the two radiator fans on the cooler thats ramping up very easily. they're also the only fans i can adjust in BIOS. Case fans isnt detected by BIOS - also theyre running nice and quietly.

I just had a look, and BIOS is updated with the latest update - tho its from 2016

Ive had the ML240R since December, so not very long concidering the use of the computer as well has been very limited.

Regarding your next question, after some thinking, YES - I did mess around a while back with some cables and RAM, and at that point the case was laid down its side.

I will have to get back to you regarding the cooler lines when ive had it on for a while.

Pump is set to 100% operation in BIOS.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Where is the radiator mounted?

Firstly, to start off, im going to answer a couple questions.

1. The cooler lines feels good. Theyre of equal temperature and both feels nice and cooling.
  2. Its a top mounted radiator.

Secondly, I really have to apologize! Although my cooler fans do make a little more noise than the case fans, its not really that much of a difference. Would I like them even more quiet if possible - ofcourse! Is it doable - honestly i dont know.

Ive just found out (again sorry - shouldve checked better earlier) that the real culprit actually isnt the radiator fans, but the fans on the GPU. When i was checking the cooler lines i stopped the radiator fans for a second to just check, and to my surprise the noise kept going. Tried same approach with the GPU and the noise clearly disappeared. The more fans i stopped, the quieter it got.

So what do we make of this? Is it controllable? Does it mean that the GPU is done for?

If you have changed driver versions, updated, installed new, whatever, or updated the utility you use to control the GPU fans, then it will reset your custom fan curve profile. I'd suggest you RE-assign a custom fan curve profile for the GPU fans using Trixx or Afterburner, after making sure you have the most recent driver version installed from the AMD website for your card model.

And here:

Solution

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018

And here:

So I installed the afterburner and tried to tweak the graphs. It did work until I started a game. Im recording an avg temp when playing Black Desert Online at 93-94 degrees, and also noticed now that I get flickers of a bunch of white small boxes on the screen every now and then?

zdking

Commendable
Apr 11, 2018
Unfortunately it really does sound like, at this point, there is a problem with the graphics card.

Thats the conclusion ive come to as well. Tried to google a little after the fragments started showing up, and along with the fans issue most answers out there was a dying GPU. Have got my hands on a newer GPU that I will pick up today, so hopefully that'll solve all issues. Again, thanks for the help @Darkbreeze (y)