Here's a few reasons AMD is not selling more CPU.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
amd-intel-eu,2314.html

No one seem to talk about these reasons at all.
Intel don't have to do anything different AMD's is
cutting there own throats.

DT marketshare is currently up for AMD.
I like their pricing on the AMD valued cpu systems. 50% mark-up wont play with AMDs mindset, nor AMD customers, and in the economy, alot of people either, thus AMDs rise in their Market Share in DT as of late

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I think they might also be just investing in those 12 core cpu's they're bringing out next year.

since that's 96 cores in a complete 8 socket board.

can't wait until they come out for the mainstream since they will be pretty much equal to an i7 8 core in 12 threaded apps and then the year after they'll have 16 core cpu's ready.

Quote:
"Intel Corp. bumped up its political lobbying during the first quarter as the chip maker battled tougher antitrust scrutiny and regulators in Europe readied a record fine for Intel's sales tactics there, according to a recent disclosure form.

Intel ( INTC - news - people )'s $882,000 in lobbying fees for the January-March period represents a more than 50 percent increase over the same period last year."

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2009/05/22/ap6458387.html

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Well consider the Phenom II start at like 100 dollars where i7 starts at the highest Phenom II prices of around 230 dollars I'd hardly call them the same market to compare.

First amd fails at life due to horrible sales for years during the core 2 duo where only hardcore amd fanboys stuck by amd and their servers :) and the fact that amd chips have been bigger then intel's chips meaning they have less production in a same size factory really amd is just been shooting it self in their foot scene 2002 imo and intel just decided to kick them when they are down.

I'd say that. Name a amd commercial... and how many people know the Pentium 3 commercials

Really amd has had a weak business strategy while intel pursued more of a cutthroat imma rule this business ...style of business and the difference in power shows.

ofc i have a slight bias for intel now last amd cpu i had was a FX-62 it was a great cpu but years after and builds later i'd moved on.

jed

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
look the top end builders are complaining about AMD as a no show
that not Intels fault, the bottom line is AMD needs to act like they care
and show there face every now and again.

Its called overhead. I agree with you. They need to : Have more and better adverts, become more customer centric, as in this case, and most of all, they need better IPC.

Id guess the latter is where their focus is right now, being hamstrung with monies, or lack thereof. But it still doesnt justify these boutique makers, (or this one), to have an overall impression about AMD, while simply disregarding their approach. Youd not likely see many things sold at WalMart that also sell at a fine department store, and you dont see WalMart complaining either tho. Yes, both stores sells the same products in alot of areas, but they dont cost the same either, and thats the point this boutique maker just isnt getting

randomizer

Champion
soldier37, do you have to post a pic of your rig in every thread you reply to?

@PsychoSaysDie: Quality? I don't think so. When it comes to CPUs quality is not really an issue no matter who you turn to. How many times have you seen a CPU die compared to other hardware?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the Socket G34 chips like the 12-core Opteron are going to be a maximum of 4-way units. AMD is no longer going to make 8-way CPUs any more. But you still can get 48 cores in a four-socket board or 64 if you wait for the next revision (16-core "Interlagos" Opteron in 2011.)

Crazy V

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009

Not lotion, Hand sanatizer. Before you assume someone is copying your own practices read the label.

If any one had bothered to read the articles on the EU antitrust fine they'd have seen it dated from a period years ago when Athlon 64 was king and was close to 50% of the market and gaining since intels own P4 was an oven that could do some calculations .

AMD's recent financial problems probably stem from the failure of the first Phenom quads and the TLB error that rendered them middle of the road instead of cutting edge .
AMD has new finance and a new structure . They are in a good position and I'd be surprised if they arent out selling intel in many market segments .

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008

Actually that's a nice point ... AMD has NOT approached its usr_base directly with upgrade offers ! Think about it -- they worked hard to catch INTEL ... and now work hard AGAIN to catch up. But, not-once have I got a "DEAR AMD LUSR" letter from ... AMD !

What kind of non-marketing is that !! ? They are treating a $1-K buy like Chapstick. Everybody else I buy specialty from ... Omaha Steaks / Vermont Pottery / Portland Paper ... etc sends me follow-up emails, special offers and promotions. :sol: NOT duufus AMD !!

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I haven't gotten a "DEAR INTEL USER" letter from Intel either...

What they are referring to is the AMD booths at major events, or the lack there of. However, I dispute this because look at any custom case showing and notice that they always have AMD supplied CPUs. Different forms of marketing, not worse.

Booths costs money. Its great for the few that attend those events, to be able to showcase your product, but theres better options for spending your money.
Unfortunately, its sorta like a rock n a hard place. You need/should do events etc, but your ad budget only allows for so much.

TRENDING THREADS