[SOLVED] Here's a hypothetical. All current GPU's are in-stock and selling at MSRP. What is my next GPU upgrade? Current specs below.

Nov 29, 2021
I just recently upgraded my CPU/RAM from i7-8700K/3000MHz to i7-12700K/3600MHz (a placeholder until DDR5 is actually appealing), and of course I had to dabble in these Gen4 SSD's you guys are raving about. Now the only thing I need to do next is upgrade my GPU... I have an EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition Gaming. It's an absolute snooze-fest in terms of performance and OC potential, but at the time that's what $700 got you.

So, let's assume ALL of the most recent GPU releases are selling at MSRP & stock is plentiful. What's the next move?

Is it to buy a current 30-Series card?
Is it to hold off for the 30-Series SUPER release in January?
What about the 40-Series cards next year?

Idk, I really don't need a GPU upgrade...I didn't really need a CPU upgrade. But we all know the PCMasterRace is a slippery slope and ya boy is on SKATES.

Solution
For GPUs to return to their launch-day MSRPs from 16 months ago, you would need to undo the inflation and other price hikes from the last 18+ months. If you did that, you would also need to adjust newer SKUs' MSRPs accordingly. Under those conditions, the RTX3050 would likely be ~$180 instead of $250 and I'd get that.
I just recently upgraded my CPU/RAM from i7-8700K/3000MHz to i7-12700K/3600MHz (a placeholder until DDR5 is actually appealing), and of course I had to dabble in these Gen4 SSD's you guys are raving about. Now the only thing I need to do next is upgrade my GPU... I have an EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition Gaming. It's an absolute snooze-fest in terms of performance and OC potential, but at the time that's what $700 got you.

So, let's assume ALL of the most recent GPU releases are selling at MSRP & stock is plentiful. What's the next move?

Is it to buy a current 30-Series card?
Is it to hold off for the 30-Series SUPER release in January?
What about the 40-Series cards next year?

Idk, I really don't need a GPU upgrade...I didn't really need a CPU upgrade. But we all know the PCMasterRace is a slippery slope and ya boy is on SKATES.
Wait until the 40 series and get a 4080, you still have a very capable video card, the 40 series is next year. It makes sense to skip a generation and get that. Just enjoy your computer and stop scratching :)

InvalidError

Titan
For GPUs to return to their launch-day MSRPs from 16 months ago, you would need to undo the inflation and other price hikes from the last 18+ months. If you did that, you would also need to adjust newer SKUs' MSRPs accordingly. Under those conditions, the RTX3050 would likely be ~$180 instead of $250 and I'd get that.

Solution