Here's a Leaked Picture of the Nexus 5

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl8

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
1) The vibrate motor is a joke. I barely feel it in my pocket, doesn't even make a sound if its laying in the table.

2) The camera again is medicore

3) Battery life is bad

4) DAC + amplifier are mediocre

5) Build quality is lacking

6) Lacking LTE

NOTE: I my family we've a N4, a Galaxy Nexus, a Galaxy SIV and a Galaxy SII, so I can do some comparison.

1) False.
The N4 have a good vibration response, better than the Galaxy Nexus, which one feels uncomfortable.
When they are in my pocket I can't notice difference between it and the Galaxy Nexus (thus I don't like the GN when typing).
I don't use any sound but I think I could agree with the sound lacking: putting a speaker on the back of a phone is a bad idea, putting it on the back of a perfectly flat phone is an even worse idea.

2) No it's not: it's better than the Galaxy Nexus and SII (well it's newer) and it's not far from GII, which is aged the same.

3) What is a DAC?

4) False, it's well built, expecially for a 349$ phone. I own it since Febrary and it's still like new and buttons are still solid and "clicky".

5) Partially trure: you've to blame Google for this, as it's a software limitation and not an hardware lacking.

Anomandaris

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I remember reading when it came out that Google disabled the LTE chip because it was draining the battery terribly and they could not get it to not do that.

DAC is Digital to Analogue Converter.

Two faults with the Nexus 4 I forgot to mention, to be absolutely fair:
1) I miss USB mass storage.
2) The line out is indeed quiet, which can be a problem when connecting to a car, since most car stereos do not support the file storage format and thus do not recognize the device. I have yet to find a solution to that.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
If I use my Nexus 4 like ....well a phone I get two days solid use out of a charge. I can push to nearly three if I switch to just 2G. Stock setup too.

If I use it like a Gameboy then.... But only a muppet would expect long battery using it as a Gameboy.

karl8

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
@Anomandaris: the lack of USB mass storage is how new Androids act.
For what I know it's not a phone-based problem, but a bad idea taken by Google.
Expect it (the lack of USB mass storage) on next phones as well.

basketcase87

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2011

A portable headphone amp should fix your problems with the line out being too low.

Anomandaris

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
@karl8 Yeah, I got that but in my mind that is a flaw with the Nexus 4 and the fact that it will be in the next phones does not make it any better - it just means those phones will have the same flaw. As far as I know it is not just a software thing as developers seemed to have no hope of bypassing the new format. I really don't know.
@basketcase87 Well it might but that is no excuse. A phone's functions should work fine "as is", out of the box. You shouldn't have to buy and carry around an amp just to use your phone properly. I gave up on checking for an upcoming solution long ago (as it was already months after the release). Google dropped the ball on several aspects of the phone, there is no denying that. Mind you, I still think it is a great phone, especially for its price (even though the price was not so great here). I just wish Google learns from the mistakes they made and continue on to make great phones (OK, others make them for them).

Status
Not open for further replies.