120GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Integrated Intel® PRO 10/100 Ethernet
56K PCI Telephony Modem
48x CD-RW Drive 48CDRW
Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 (D) Card
No Speakers
Palm Zire 21
Dell TrueMobile™ 1300 WLAN (802.11b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter

Two LCD monitors; No DVD writer; No speaker set. Price is $2060 including tax, and before $150 mail-in-rebate.

What do you all think? I figure RAM and optical drives will be cheaper after market, and plan to spend another $200 towards these after redeeming the rebate and selling the PDA. I figure extra 1GB of RAM and a DVD burner will be another $300 or so, but these can wait.

Obviously, bleeding edge performance is not my first priority. Good display quality, however, is. This is going to be a home PC, to organize/edit growing collection of digital music, family photos, and home video.

As for software, I have Win XP Pro.

Appreciate your input.

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
512Mb on XP and working with photos/videos? Double the RAM, seriously. If costs too much, just downgrade the CPU, you won't notice the lower performance but WILL notice the additional 512Mb

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
Well..if you want to piss away your money, sounds like a plan :smile: . Would you be interested in building a computer? You would become much more knowledgable about you system and you would definently be getting a better computer and you would only spend a little more than $1000. Go to <A HREF="http://www.Newegg.com" target="_new">http://www.Newegg.com</A> and look up the CPU you want, and RAM, and motherboard and everything and add up the price. I bet it won't come up to $2000. So if you decide to build your computer you are kind of killing 3 birds with one stone. You are becoming more knowledgable about your computer, cheaper, and possibly more performance if you add a few things to the list.

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?michael:)" target="_new"> You Want To Click Me, Go Ahead:) </A>

Carnivore

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2004
And, building a computer is stupid easy. I built three in one day, and that was my first day trying to build. I just looked a "How-To" up on the net and was in there. Trust me, if I can do it, a one armed, two figered, blind man could. He wouldn't have to be that smart either. On a side note- if the prices on those Dell flat panels are competitive, every review I have ever read has said that thier flat panels are top-notch. But I would strongly suggest that you build your own. If you however refuse to do that I think you will find much better prices and customer support if you go with an ABS (www.abscomputers.com), or Monarch (www.monarchcomputer.com) system.

justaguy

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I'd build too, if I were you. Dell and Gateway are good at getting a $400 computer to run forever, but if you're comparing what $2000 buys from them vs. $2000 worth of hardware and building yourself, that's a joke. You could easily build a bleeding edge system with great display quality for around $2000. No joke-look at pricewatch.com or newegg (I go there first b/c ~$3 price difference is outweighed by trust and great shipping). Posts about it being easy and learning more are dead on. Hardest part about it for me (when I started) was using fdisk on a new drive. If you're talking about adding optical drives and memory later, you can probably build your own. No one step is any harder than installing a CD burner. Just be patient and thorough and use common sense.

Athlon XP 1900 (11x200) 42C (Load w/AX-7 & 8cm Tornado) - MSI K7N2 Delta - Corsair Value PC3200 - Gainward GF3 @ 250/550 - 80Gb WD 8Mb Cache -

firelogs

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
Priced out all the hardware components at newegg.com, and even before the costs of shipping, a top-notch 17" LCD and another top-notch 20" LCD, it comes out to $1000 for comparable equipments to the Dell configuration cited. As previously stated, the quality of the display units are more important than additional 10-20% processing power. It seems that LCD panels comparable in reputation to the Dell models cited cost well over $1500 combined. So, where is the cost advantage to BYO?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
If you want GOOD video quality get an ATI or Matrox (if you don't play games) video cards. They both offer very good signal quality/output. The Matrox cards can manage multi-monitor setup really. GeForce FX52000 is one of the WORST GPU ever made.

Like other people stated, you will not get the price/performance is you buy a DELL PC, but if you don't mind, it's ok!

--
Would you buy a potato powered chipset?

flamethrower205

Illustrious
Jun 26, 2001
My concern is more of are you willing to deal with one lcd @ 1280x1024 and the other at 1600x1200 + size difference? It could get a bit weird..
Am I right in assuming that FX5200 has dual DVI outputs....don't even think about running the 2001FP in analog mode- the signal gets affected a considerable amount.

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply

firelogs

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2004
video card is replaceable easily enough. I didn't think Dell configurator offered too many video card choices for that configuration, but i will have to check. thanks for pointing that out.