Here's What the G Flex's Curved Battery Looks Like

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I'm impressed by the battery size who on earth would want a curved phone? Its interesting they can do it but I can't imagine anyone wanting to use it... The only people they'll sell to are attention whores

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
^^
Just because you have little or no imagination, the product is useless?
A lot of phone users put their phone in their back pants pocket.
The curved surface cancels reflections.
When viewing videos they look great on the curved screen.

Aside from that the specs on this phone are really great.

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
I say BS. Looking at the so called curved battery it seems the thin shielding and its contents have been bent - check out the wrinkles. I firmly believe that this was rushed together so hopefully LG will be producing an authentic curved battery instead of having some poor schmuck curving the batteries by hand using a can of pears!

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009

What if you have a flat ass? Then the curve just makes the phone uncomfortable to wear in the back pants pocket. I can't see how a curved screen "cancels" reflections--it just gets reflections from a different angle instead of straight ahead. Also, a curved screen causes video to be slightly distorted (pin cushioned?) if not corrected to allow for the curvature. Also, I personally like to lay my phone face down so that the screen isn't exposed. The curve is going to just leave the phone susceptible to more concentrated stress if something heavy were to land on top of it, whereas with a flat phone it would be fine. I haven't seen the phone, but how would they orient the camera? Would you have to adjust the angle you hold the phone at, so you're not always aiming above the subject? For taking selfies, you'll probably accidentally take more pics of your pants than you care to.

^^
Just because you have little or no imagination, the product is useless?
A lot of phone users put their phone in their back pants pocket.
The curved surface cancels reflections.
When viewing videos they look great on the curved screen.

Aside from that the specs on this phone are really great.
He didn't say it was product was useless. He was talking about the curved screen being useless compared to a flat one.

At that size, I'm not really sure the curved screen has any of those benefits either. It looks great with very large screens, where it curves around with our peripheral vision, but we are talking about something a few inches long.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
"A lot of phone users put their phone in their back pants pocket."

A lot? How many? did you make this sh*t up? Almost ALL female won't stick their phone on their ass. And for the rest of the male, how many will really put it in back pants pocket? I for one will not. This is a bad location for phone...

Just because you don't, doesn't mean others don't.

Even 1% of people using mobile phones, would be considered a lot of people. A lot doesn't mean it has to include a high percentage, just a bunch of people who do.

halcyon

Splendid
I have put my old now-sold (hey, that rhymes) Note 2 in my back pocket but really don't see the curving thing being relevant. Most hot chicks aren't gonna mess up your view by putting a big-azz phone in their back pocket. That'd just be inconsiderate to us viewers. Sheesh.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
I live in a college town and the 'hot chicks' most certainly do keep their phone in their back pockets. So do the 'hot chicks' that work in the fast food restaurants.

I am amazed that so many tech commenters are upset at this limited release.

No most people don't place their phone face down on a table.

No most people don't enter text into their phone while in lays flat on a table.

I really appreciate all the junior scientists/marketing strategists here that are so much smarter that the professionals that actually get paid and are employed by companies like LG.

Anyway, it's just a slight curve, get over it.

reggjoo

Honorable
Mar 20, 2013
I'll take it, it's not that hard to see the advantages. A screen that can flex, not made of breakable glass, unibody that has some give to it, powerful soc, self healing back, cmon guys! I wish they would have left it straight though. Now waterproof it, and it would be the most indestructable(sorry pantech) phone out there.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'm more impressed that they managed to get the actual circuit board to flex that much. Will it be able to stand up to repeated use and abuse over a few years?

aktomjerry

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2010
At least let the phone hit the market first. Let few people use it and then they will give you their first hand experience review regarding the "Curved Screen" ...

how can u say that it will be uncomfortable or comfortable just by knowing the only fact that it has got a "Curved Screen" ? ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.