News Here's Why There's Little Concrete Data on the RTX-40 Series (Report)

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I recall reading that Nvidia rushed the 30-series launch. AIBs threw together whatever they could to hit the launch window. Igor's Lab has a lot of good information, but I wouldn't discount Nvidia throwing something together quickly again. Yes, they want to sell out of 30-series stock. They also want to replace those crypto sales with gamer sales. Investors don't like companies that aren't constantly growing.

Reactions: ezst036
Apr 1, 2020
Reactions: RodroX

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
I generally pay the Leakers little mind because they are for the most part unethical hacks looking for clicks and attention for their overinflated egos .... Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in a while so just because they got lucky once and predicted something correctly doesn't mean they are magically a "reliable source" ......

Reactions: _dawn_chorus_

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I generally pay the Leakers little mind because they are for the most part unethical hacks looking for clicks and attention for their overinflated egos .... Even a blind pig can find an acorn every once in a while so just because they got lucky once and predicted something correctly doesn't mean they are magically a "reliable source" ......
This is basically the youtuber Moores Law Is Dead in a nutshell... lol.

I am somehow more interested in what the new Radeon line will be and can do, than nvidia this time around. With nvidia GPUs needing more and more power, AMD start to look better for me.

For instance, in my country I can get RX 6700 XT 12Gb at a considerable lower price than the RTX 3070 8GB, been both Asus Dual models, and having the RX 6700 XT only 1x8 + 1x6 power cables, vs the RTX needing 2x8.

I am somehow more interested in what the new Radeon line will be and can do, than nvidia this time around. With nvidia GPUs needing more and more power, AMD start to look better for me.

For instance, in my country I can get RX 6700 XT 12Gb at a considerable lower price than the RTX 3070 8GB, been both Asus Dual models, and having the RX 6700 XT only 1x8 + 1x6 power cables, vs the RTX needing 2x8.
I wouldn't hold your breath that AMD will be leagues better on this front. For instance, the power specs for AM5 don't bode well in this regard when 16C is the top-end for this platform.

As I've probably said elsewhere, this thing called Dennard Scaling, where like Moore's Law, was an observation that as transistors get smaller, their power density remains constant (meaning more transistors for the same power). And like Moore's Law (at least in its original form), it broke down in the 2010s. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's next flagship GPU gets a 50W TBP bump.

There's also the issue that most cards are shipped with efficiency thrown out the window anyway in the name of good reviews and stroking e-peens.

Reactions: RodroX
I wouldn't hold your breath that AMD will be leagues better on this front. For instance, the power specs for AM5 don't bode well in this regard when 16C is the top-end for this platform.

As I've probably said elsewhere, this thing called Dennard Scaling, where like Moore's Law, was an observation that as transistors get smaller, their power density remains constant (meaning more transistors for the same power). And like Moore's Law (at least in its original form), it broke down in the 2010s. I wouldn't be surprised if AMD's next flagship GPU gets a 50W TBP bump.

There's also the issue that most cards are shipped with efficiency thrown out the window anyway in the name of good reviews and stroking e-peens.

True, but still when you don't give a crap about Ray Tracing and considering the amount of performance you can get from a RX 6700XT at 1440p at a lower price point (and compared to my old RTX 2070) then it does look good.

I would not worry too much (yet) about the AM5 power specs, we do not know what products will even require such high power, is better to wait for the final product line and the reviews. We only know the socket will have a PPT 230 watts and a TDP of 170watts. Who knows perhaps AMD have something else hide on its sleeve for the AM5 platform. And also I don't think intel will do a lot better with its 13th gen, vs Alder Lake.

Cheers!

True, but still when you don't give a crap about Ray Tracing and considering the amount of performance you can get from a RX 6700XT at 1440p at a lower price point (and compared to my old RTX 2070) then it does look good.
And sure, the market is definitely in AMD's court, but I'd argue this is due to a combination of scalpers trying to sell off their stock and trying to recoup some of their losses, while at the same time the market seems to hold NVIDIA at a higher value than AMD.

Otherwise if you want to argue from the standpoint of MSRP, the RTX 3070 is only $20 more than the RX 6700XT. When you consider the entire feature set of what NVIDIA GPUs have to offer, the RTX 3070 has a lot more value. Even if you don't care about ray tracing, NVIDIA cards still do everything Radeon cards can do from a feature set stand point and more.

And sure, the market is definitely in AMD's court, but I'd argue this is due to a combination of scalpers trying to sell off their stock and trying to recoup some of their losses, while at the same time the market seems to hold NVIDIA at a higher value than AMD.

Otherwise if you want to argue from the standpoint of MSRP, the RTX 3070 is only $20 more than the RX 6700XT. When you consider the entire feature set of what NVIDIA GPUs have to offer, the RTX 3070 has a lot more value. Even if you don't care about ray tracing, NVIDIA cards still do everything Radeon cards can do from a feature set stand point and more.

Yes taking the MSRP then thats a no brainer. But in this case, in my country, the difference in money is around $150 * , and thats a lot of money, I can get a very awesome PSU with that much of a difference.

* yes $150 its insane, and Im not talking about some shady website, Im talking a very old respected retail street shop (with average prices compared to other shops in my country) where you can go see the package, and touch the GPU before paying it.