Hesitant About Buying Hisense U8 TV

KrautMcFriend

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2014
Rtings and others praise the Hisense U8 series. Overall the reviews are more than good to great, and with being on a sale that places the 65" at 1K, I am thinking about it for my next set. I will be going from a 1080/60hz Sony 55". Does anyone have any thoughts on Hisense? I am used to owning LG and Sony sets, so a bit hesitant. They appear to also make a lot of the internal components themselves, sans their processor chips (made by Intel) and OLED panels (LG of course). I am a bit surprised their in-house LED panels get such great reviews, but I'll take it! Any thoughts on Hisense and even more specifically the U8 series?

D

Deleted member 362816

I am going to simply post my opinion. I have been using Hisense tv's for years Price ranges 200-700, I have never had a issues with any of them except the android tv ones seem to slow down allot over time.

Rtings and others praise the Hisense U8 series. Overall the reviews are more than good to great, and with being on a sale that places the 65" at 1K, I am thinking about it for my next set. I will be going from a 1080/60hz Sony 55". Does anyone have any thoughts on Hisense? I am used to owning LG and Sony sets, so a bit hesitant. They appear to also make a lot of the internal components themselves, sans their processor chips (made by Intel) and OLED panels (LG of course). I am a bit surprised their in-house LED panels get such great reviews, but I'll take it! Any thoughts on Hisense and even more specifically the U8 series?

I've had my 55" U8G for several months now. I made this purchase for basement TV and didn't want to go over $1k. I have an LG CX 65" OLED in the living room.

So far I've had no issues with the TV. But be aware that going from 1080P to 4k, the quality of the picture is highly dependent on the source content you are viewing. If your cable TV is in 720p it's going to look very pixilated and blotchy at times. A good 1080p source looks very good on the Hisense and a true 4k content looks fantastic.

Bit rate is key and any 4k TV needs good source content to provide a clear picture.

See this link for bit rate per streaming service;

Now we can touch on upscaling a bit. Higher end TV's tend to use better cpu's and gpu's in the TV for upscaling, or taking a 1080p source and stretching it to your 4k screen. Lower end TV's tend to have a cheaper hardware in this case and may not upscale as well. For those that stream (Netflix, HBO etc) you may want to use a streaming device such as the 4K Firestick or 4K Apple TV. The 4K Apple TV is one of the best upscalers on the market at this time with Nvidia Shield also a good choice.

As for gaming, I have an Xbox Series S and it looks great and have had no issues so far. But those using PC's have reported issues with with backlight flicker and blurry text at 4K due to the MediaTek SOC chip used in this TV and many others including Sony and Samsung. For PC gaming I would not recommend this TV. For console gaming the 65" is one of the best TV's out there right now.

As far as movies with the Hisense U8G. All I can say is wow! When watching Netflix and other good 4k source content the picture quality is very crisp with slightly saturated colors. Dolby Vision looks outstanding due to the high brightness of the U8G. It is extremely bright and a great choice for a bright room. The U8G 55" and 65" are VA panels so the blacks are very deep but the viewing angles are not as good. Each panel type has pros and cons.

So far I've been very happy with my Hisense. And since I bought my 55" the price of the 65" has dropped quite a bit. Wish I had the 65 :)

This is the LG CX OLED
YXVsRYF.jpg

This is the Hisense U8G
OJm7SAG.jpg

For more detailed information I'd suggest looking at the AVS forums, great site for anything home theater related.