News Hexa-Core CPUs Reign Supreme Among Gamers On Steam

InvalidError

Titan
Kind of shows that $200 CPUs and GPUs are mainstream kings when the market allows them to exist and provide meaningful gains over the previous $200-ish kings. The only reason the RTX2060 is creeping up is because no meaningful 50-tier GPU has been allowed to exist anywhere near its traditional price point since the 1650S.

Kind of shows that $200 CPUs and GPUs are mainstream kings when the market allows them to exist and provide meaningful gains over the previous $200-ish kings. The only reason the RTX2060 is creeping up is because no meaningful 50-tier GPU has been allowed to exist anywhere near its traditional price point since the 1650S.
Yeah or maybe for the last 2 years there was no new quad core released so people where forced to go bigger.
11th gen intel had no quad core and amd has abandoned them for even longer than that.

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah or maybe for the last 2 years there was no new quad core released so people where forced to go bigger.
11th gen intel had no quad core and amd has abandoned them for even longer than that.
10th and 12th gen have i3s, so 11th not having one is only one year without new i3s. And people aren't forced to go up, they can still buy previous-gen, which you would likely want to do to save an extra $50-100 if you are the kind of person for whom the extra $50 or so to go from i3 to i5 is a financial hardship.

10th and 12th gen have i3s, so 11th not having one is only one year without new i3s. And people aren't forced to go up, they can still buy previous-gen, which you would likely want to do to save an extra $50-100 if you are the kind of person for whom the extra $50 or so to go from i3 to i5 is a financial hardship.
DIY is an extremely small market and I don't know enough about how OEMs secure their stock to argue about it with you, but even if it's just one year without quads it was still one year without current gen pre builds that have quads in them and that is still going to influence these results.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Most surprising among these results is that more than 10% of Steam users are still using dual core CPU's. I would hope most of those are laptop CPU's, but still, that is a higher percentage of gamers than I would have guessed.

InvalidError

Titan
DIY is an extremely small market and I don't know enough about how OEMs secure their stock to argue about it with you, but even if it's just one year without quads it was still one year without current gen pre builds that have quads in them and that is still going to influence these results.
Do you know what else may have influenced the result? The 2020-2021 work-from-home boom where millions of people realized that their 5-10 years old beater PC doesn't cut it anymore and for a large chunk of them, that would have been a quad-core already. Spending $700+ to upgrade from quad to quad when $50-100 extra gets you hex with higher base clocks and more cache doesn't sound particularly good.

Most surprising among these results is that more than 10% of Steam users are still using dual core CPU's. I would hope most of those are laptop CPU's, but still, that is a higher percentage of gamers than I would have guessed.
I suspect the lion's share of (1024-1366)x(768-800) primary monitor resolutions are old laptops, so 6-7% out of 11% dual cores.