Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
My system setup as follows:
Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0ghz
Radeon 9800 Pro 128
1 gig of PC-2700 DDR
Sound Blaster 2 Audigy(Retail Version)
Gigabyte G7a AGP 8x Mobo.
Ok here goes, when I installed my Radeon 9800 Pro, I got a horibble 3d Marks 01' score 11,000, so I was naturally like uber mad, my 03' score was 4993. I kept wondering why its seemed that my barnd new ATI card was getting such low marks, well, when I downloaded Aida32,Sandra,Rage3dTweak. I saw that my ram speed was clocked at a super low 337.5!! Thats lower than the GPU speed, what in holy gfx cards is going on! ATI, Toms, even Guru3d says the RAM speed on this card is 680!! Even my friends GeForce 4 ti 4200's Ram is clocked higher than mine...any help would be cool. Maybe a fresh format and install? I dunno im totally bumming after spending $400 on ATI, after 3 months of research. And ATI's Cust'care sends me a newbie FAQ link :\

Cheers.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Oh, you haven't figured out the DDR thing yet have you. First of all, your CPU doesn't have a 266MHz bus, it has a 133MHz bus. Second, your PC2700 doesn't have a 333MHz bus, it has a 166MHz bus. Third, graphics memory isn't clocked at 680MHz, it's clocked at 340MHz.

They multiply by 2 when refering to DDR speed.

Think about it, the fastest memory around is 2ns. My calculator says that's 500MHz. How could 500 be faster than 680? Multiply by 2, 500x2=1000!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, it sounds like a newbie faq link is exactly what you needed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

MrMiyagi

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
I knew what DDR meant, just looked odd to me, and my crappy performance...the DAQ link was crap like..."Is you card plugged in?", "Do You have the latest drivers", crap thats bassicly newbie.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
OK. Lets make a newbie scale from 1 to 10.

Those questions you just posed, as to what would be in a newbie graphics card dearest comrade, are at level 1. Your not knowing about DDR is at level 2.

Its still super n00bish of you dude.

And clock speeds aren't everything dude, and its not the only difference between the 9800 pro and the GF4 Ti. Guess what, the Ti's memory bus is 128 bits wide, the 9800 pros is 256, thats TWICE as much bandwidth right there.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd