k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Note: I have also posted this on the XP forums.. I believe my problems are related and hopefully one of the boards help :))

Hey guys.. I haven't posted in this XP forum yet due mainly because I haven't run across a problem I haven't found a solution to through either these forums or Google.

However here I am . I actually have 3 problems but the 2nd and 3rd can wait till I get the first fixed.

Situation: I have a copy of Vista Upgrade(I know it sucks, but its my decision..) Everything that I read tells me I have to have XP installed to use the upgrade disk. Ok that's fine with me.. I figure I would install XP fresh than use the upgrade. .. Wrong.... Popped my XP CD in... booted from it.. hit F6 installed my raid drivers.. few more files get copied over until it get to the message "Setup is starting Windows" I have let it sit on this screen for over 20 minutes. Doesn't make sense.. So I went through.. Defaulted my bios back out.(Of course had to re assign my raid) I also took out my second video card..Disconnected all unneeded devices IE 2nd Cdrom, all USB stuff including my speakers and so forth..I have taken out ALL PCI stuff.. I have also tried using just 1 stick of ram at a time.

Heres where the second problem comes in. Ok so this sucks.. meh.. I wanna use Vista... so I boot back up with my HHD as the format had not gone off yet. Figured oh well.. my system isn't running to bad, Dont reallly need a fresh copy. Fire off the Upgrade.. everything is going sweet and fast and omg im gonna have Vista!! .... No. Once the system restarts.. the Vista Install is hanging as well... don't remember what the screen was saying when it hung..

Ok so now im really mad... but who knows maybe ill figure it out.

First I would like some ideas as to why XP install is Hanging.. I have tried the first 20 links on Google for related info none of those solutions worked for me. I have also check the forums here and there's talks about wireless devices.. I don't have any. So any heap would be awesome.

Second.. why would Vista install hang.. assuming it isnt related to the XP hang..

And the 3rd minor problem.... Seems as though I have a partial install of Vista.. when booting the system.. it shows a boot from screen.. to select.. its auto set to boot the partial Vista.. so basically if I boot the system right after my raid is health screen... I have to hit my UP arrow.. repeatedly so that it doesn't just shoot straight to the Vista.. therefore I can pick Earlier Installation.. and boot to my XP..

How can I remove the partial install, and or change my boot to default to the XP install...

here is my Bootini if it helps

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

/NOEXECUTE=OPTIN

LoneEagle

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2006
Was that machine worked fine before starting upgrading to Vista?
Which CD version of XP are you trying to install?
- Home/Pro, 32/64, Base/SP2

I ran in the same upgrade process. I own XP 32 Pro Base and had to do a Slipstream to include SP2 and now having a XP Pro with SP2 CD.

And yes, I have to reinstall XP if I want to reinstall Vista. Please note that I use the 64bits version of Vista Home Upgrade.

k2gremlin

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
To asnswer a few questions.. Yea the machine is working fine.. it benchmarked around 13000 or so when I built it.. now posts about 10000... so it need a format and so on.. been about 8 months. But all in all it does run sweet.

However I wanna get Vista going before some of these new games come out and so on.

Right now im running XP Pro 32 with SP2.. I cannot even get to the point of reinstalling SP2.. because it hangs on that first blue screen you see when you boot from CD.. when its loading the files..