Question Hey guys I had a few questions about the following SAGER NP7958F1 (CLEVO NH58AF1) that I wish to purchase?

Jun 22, 2020
I wish to purchase the following laptop for gaming/streaming/programming:
https://xoticpc.com/collections/extreme-series-gaming-laptops/products/sager-np7958f1-clevo-nh58af1
The base configuration costs USD$ 1369

The configuration I wish to go for is:
Ryzen 7 3700X (+US $150)
16GB DUAL CHANNEL DDR4 SDRAM AT 3200MHZ (+US $15)
RTX 2070
1TB WD BLUE M.2 PCIE NVME SSD (+US $75)
(Maybe) WINDOWS® 10 HOME 64-BIT (+US $80)

I stay in Washington State, US and after taxes (10%) the total comes out to be around USD$1780 which is a bit over budget.

My questions:
1. Is there a significant performance difference between using single channel vs dual channel. I read that the performance gain is around 15% at best for highly specialized testing software and 4-5 fps more in games. I am also worried that 16 GB might not be enough in 2 years time and would it be better to go for 16x1 right now and leave the second slot free for a future upgrade to 32 GB?

2. I have two options for Wireless/Bluetooth upgrade:
  • INTEL WI-FI 6 AX200 M.2 AX + BT COMBO CARD + BLUETOOTH MODULE - DEFAULT
  • KILLER DUAL BAND WIRELESS-AX 1650X M.2 AC + BT COMBO (+US $25)
Is there an advantage to paying $25 more? I have no idea regarding the metrics used to compare network cards. Is the $25 upgrade option worth it?

3. How easy is it for somebody who has never messed with laptop internals to install a new ssd/hdd in the following laptop? I have built computers before. I can save US $75 if I go for the default 500GB WD BLUE M.2 PCIE NVME SSD and was thinking of purchasing a 2TB 2.5 inch ssd later on when I have a bit more cash to spare.

16 GB should be plenty for a while.

I would leave the wifi card alone, won't make any difference really.

Upgrading the drive won't be any harder than any other laptop, but you need to be careful since there are some delicate cables and connectors inside the system. Take out a few screws, take apart the lid, drive will be accessible then.

TRENDING THREADS