Hey guys I'm still seeking assistance with my issue of finally building a custom water cooler forGTX 980 Ti p/n 06G-P4-4995-KR

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
I finally am getting my bonus in a few weeks and I dont have the "reference" style 980ti but I've read that you can still use a EK waterblock and parts to do a custom job. I dont want to waist anyones time so I'll stick straight to it. I dont even understand the single part, the EK waterblock.. is that all I need? Can someone please help me some on this. Ill find walkthroughs but can someone please just help me understand them easier and what I need to do this right? Thanks for any time you guys can spare.

What are you trying to accomplish?
Your evga GTX980ti sc+ is already highly overclocked.
EVGA bins their chips and the very best go into FTW cards.
Yes, you might get a bit more out of the card.
But, might not the extra cooling funds be better spent on a card like a GTX1080 in the first place.funds

Graphics cards run hot, but they are built for it.
They will target 80c. for fastest operation.
62c at idle does seem to be a bit high.
My GTX980ti SC idles at 40c.
Download your free copy of EVGA precision.
You may want to adjust the fan speed profile.
I suspect your problem is with case cooling.
Fan type coolers cool the gpu well, but they depend on case cooling to do the job.

What case do you have, and what is your cpu?
What is the setup of your cooling fans?

Take the case covers off and see what difference that makes.
If it makes enough difference, look to a case cooling solution.

jagermain

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013

OK, 1st thing, you have this card or atleast close to it, and its getting those temps??? Can you tell me your set-up please so I at least have somewhere to start in terms on information and maybe I can rule out some things.
I mean its all new stuff maybe i have to look into proper placement but heres a link to my pcpartpicker, ( http://pcpartpicker.com/user/JGwinworth/saved/#view=8YBCmG ) but anyway I'm using a Fractal R5, 2 140s in the front for intake, removed the hdd bays, then phanteks air cooler, (http://imgur.com/3huWXP4 ) the big one with 2 sinks but i only use 2 fans starting from the front side of case also pulling the air from the intake fans which pulls through the 2 cpu heatsinks straight to the back exhaust fan at the which is also pulling the air out. Should I be pushing through the heat sinks on the Phanteks? I'm about to replace it with the Corsair Hydro Series H115i Extreme bc that Phanteks cooler is so dam big its over my ram thank god its low profile the corsair ddr4 3000. But I'm really wanting to use liquid cooling for my GPU like terribly bad I just can't accept there are no options for these non-reference cards. I've been seeing these vids where people are using those NZXT Technologies Kraken G10 Liquid Cooled GPU Bracket saw this video recently where people are using those on NON-REFERENCE cards. Do you think this is a good idea for me to try?: https://youtu.be/S2SFSYl60jk?t=15m3s . Here's the BIG picture for me ok, if you looked at the PCpartpicker list that value was accurate, $2,750 and this thing is just kind of I dont know...... crappy? I see way cheaper rigs that are so much better I just cant figure out what is going on here and it's just to the point of stressing me out daily and upsetting. I really need you guys as the Experts to please help me get this thing in it's proper form.