Hey guys. Looking to upgrade.

teutoniswolf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello all. Right now I am rocking the same rig that is in my profile. I would like to make an upgrade as inexpensively as possible and only upgrade CPU, Mobo, RAM if possible.

Uses for this are:
-General web browsing
-Gaming, WoW, Bf4 and BF5, BSGO
-Discord

I bought this computer thinking I would OC but never did, never saw the need for it. It is still reasonably efficient for my needs but the 8350 is beginning to show her age. I would prefer to stay with AMD. Not sure if I need an R7 2600 or if an R5 would be more than enough.

Was thinking about this build
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cQckXP

Please let me know what you think and if I will have any compatibility issues with current case.

Thank in advance!

I wouldn't bother overclocking. In fact an "overclock" to 4GHz wouldn't really be much of an overclock at all, since the 2600X already boosts up to 4.2GHz on one core, and can boost its other cores higher than 4 GHz as well, so there's no real point in overclocking unless you're getting it up near 4.2GHz on all cores, and even then any performance benefits should be unnoticeable. The processor pretty much overclocks itself out of the box at stock settings.

Also, your 212 Evo might not have a compatible bracket for socket AM4, so you may need to get one, although the Wraith Spire cooler included with the 2600X is a rather good performing stock cooler itself, so you optionally could just stick with that. The 212 Evo would likely perform a little better, but the wraith Spire is fairly decent.

Gadhar

Reputable
Sep 26, 2016
Unless something changed the AM4 boards have AM3 and AM4 mounts. The Wraith Prism uses the old style AM3 latch mount so the 212 would work. What price range were you thinking for the SSD and what size?

One thing to add, the Ryzen 2600 (non-X) doesn't boost as high out of the box, so manually overclocking on that might make a little more sense, though again, I wouldn't expect an overclock to result in performance much beyond what the 2600X does at its stock settings. The 2600 also includes a somewhat weaker stock cooler than the 2600X, the Wraith Stealth, but if you were planning on using another cooler anyway, that might not be a concern.

EpIckFa1LJoN

Admirable
If you don't do any kind of streaming or anything like that, an Intel i5 8400 will actually outperform the 2600x for gaming. And it won't require 3200MHz RAM. So it may even be cheaper.

And if I were you, I would forget the SSD and just upgrade the CPU to something even better like an 8600k, and get some decent cooling, and overclock it.

The SSD isn't going to help fps at all, and it only helps load times so much. SSD's are luxury items and not really something you get if you're on a tight budget.

If you really really want AMD, the 2600x is definitely the way to go, and it also is better for viewer-side* streaming and productivity work than the Intel i5 8600k or i5 8400. So if you do any streaming or editing/rendering you can weigh that as well.

*Results from Streaming 8700k vs 2700x show the 8700k having higher Streamer-side fps, but showing a big drop on viewer-side fps, especially on higher settings and especially when not overclocked, I assume the same is true with the 8600k and 8400 vs the 2600x or 2600.

teutoniswolf

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Do you guys see any issues with the I/O on my case though not being compatible with the Mobo and the USB ports on it? Should I look for a new case or will I need any headers or anything from the motherboard to the case?