Hey, I bought a new gaming computer, wondering if it's decent

camdawg

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013

camdawg

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I ordered it off new-egg, it's currently being packaged, so does it look pretty good, or is there any specific bad part? How will it manage today's games?

It's ok. Though you picked an extremely overpriced graphics card. You could get 30% faster card for the same price.

I also see no reason for hard drive bracket.

Lastly, you're missing a CPU cooler - which is a nice addition, though not totally necessary.

camdawg

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
Yeah, I have owned the graphics card for a year, so no going back on that. But the computer should do fine on high settings with games right? I mean I am switching all of this out for a dual core amd athlon processor, and a ddr2 motherboard, with 360 gb hard drive, windows xp, 2gb of ram, and all that ran games on like max settings, so I would think this would be fine. Am I right?

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010

With answers like this I feel like there is no difference between posting on forums and going to your local best buy and asking the sales rep if the computer is good.

Hi :)

I own computer shops in the UK , and am a SERIOUS GAMER....my own card is a 7990 ($1000)

My advice is better and NON biased than you would get in a best buy....

You don't like my advice, fine.... but you wont get better advice on gaming...NOT ever...

All the best Brett :)

LOL! Yeah Brett is very humble also. He'd never brag about how much money he makes or what car he drives. Hint - it rhymes with Schmorche. Anyway, that card won't max everything at 1080p and 4x MSAA, but almost everything.

Far Cry 3 is extremely demanding and needs a bit more, and Crysis 3 will be very demanding too judging from the alpha benchmarks. Hopefully that will improve a lot after release with optimisation. Max Payne 3 will be fine without MSAA, but will struggle a bit with it. I don't think you'll even be able to run it with high textures if it's the 1GB model. Most games will be fine though.

Yeah I wonder that too :) In general, I think they're worrying they made a mistake and want people to tell them it's awesome and just put their mind at ease. In this particular case though, I don't think it's the OP who is arguing, he only posted three times.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

Good catch. Makes the post Brett is replying to seem all the more out of place.