mrdowntownkiller

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($26.29 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($141.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor ($185.37 @ Amazon)
Total: $1119.57
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-16 10:34 EST-0500)

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
use of system is important. If gaming, then you don't really need the hyperthreading of an i7, but if doing lots of other programs, editing video/audio, Virtual Machines, number crunching programs, encoding, basically anything CPU heavy than an i7 could be worth it.

otherwise. I like ur rig!
Maybe spring for an SSD for the OS, but ur system is pretty solid.

exactly
if gaming then just get an i5 with the biggest meanest GPU you can afford
if video editing then you need an i7, tons of RAM, a RAID array and the GPU is optional
if doing 3D content creation then you need the i7 and a quality GPU and possibly some other stuff

All of these should be paired with an SSD for the system drive in my opinion. You can have all the horsepower in the world, but the SSD can make a gutless 5 year old system run circles around your computer for things like boot time, web browsing, and other simple things.

roccofrommontreal

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Do you mind if you could look for a SSD Compatible with my MOBO?

BTW, I understand how SSDS' work and the benefit of owning one, i just don't know how I would install one.

Same as a regular hardrive. You can even clone them with good software off your old hardrive. If you do a fresh windows install, be sure to set your bios to "achi" in the sata section and use only one drive to install windows if you don't clone your old one. Then hook up your backup drive after windows is running, and it will automatically configure it as a secondary drive. I use maxblast 5 software for either seagate or maxtor drives.

roccofrommontreal

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Do you know a good SSD that would be compatible with my computer, would be under $100 dollars and I could install windows 7 64bit ultimate on?

SSDs are just like HDDs. You plug it in, install software, and enjoy. You may need a drive adapter to get it to fit in properly (~$-8) as SSDs are the size of laptop drives, but I have mounted SSDs in computers (on a temp basis) by only screwing in one side without an adapter, and because they are so light and have no moving parts it is generally not an issue. There are no major motherboard compatability issues. I have installed them on older SATA-IDE based motherboards without issue, but for max performance you will want something with SATA3-AHCI, which is just about every mobo on the market these days.

As for brands on consumer drives:
Samsung is the best on reliability and performance
Intel and Crucial are both solid on reliability, but not necessarially the best performers
OCZ and Mushkin are great on performance and $$... but not the most reliable