HGST Announces New G-Technology G-RAID Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
"The MSRP for an enclosure with 16 TB of storage weighs in at $1,295, 12 TB for $999.95 and 8 TB for $599.95."

Ouch!!

A few years back I build a 24TB RAID setup for less. 8 x 3TB SATA 3 retail drives with 3 year warranty each for $99 a piece and the 8 bay SATA 3 RAID enclosure with Esata and USB3 was only ~ $120.

I guess this is only for corporations that have money to burn

tastyKake

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Some of these markups these companies get away with are insane. I understand you have to make money, but these prices really don't justify it. I mean on their website, the HDD description is "2) Enterprise Class 7200RPM SATA III". No brands/specs just generic text. 8TB with unknown HDDs on a non-networked USB interface for $600.

But it's obvious who they are targeting with this product. The product's design says it all and I'm sure it'll be a perfect match looking pretty next to another overpriced office computer with extremely similar looks.

Fooblob

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
"No brands/specs just generic text. 8TB with unknown HDDs"
I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess the disks are HGST

ralanahm

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you for the HI-res pictures I love them., you can almost see the photographer in the screw reflections. I love to save them for later use, but normally I post in sizes from around .5-MB to 1-MB unless it going to be printed for a meeting.
Do you have the Nikon D800 for a review?

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
If I were a pro creative professional (photographer or videographer) I'd totally have one of these and run RAID 1 on it. Lots of money but lots of performance and reliability.

dgraham1284

Honorable
May 7, 2013
Having worked for these corporations with "money to burn." What kind of support plan does your DYI system have? 24x7x4? Nothing? While for the consumer, DYI may be less expensive, these "corporations with money to burn" need support on their mission critical items.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm going to guess these shots were supplied by the manufacturer. You can often go to the press section of manufacturer's websites and find high-res photos of their products suitable for print use.

Whether they shot them or just D/L'd them, it's nice that the originals were seemingly posted, instead of downsampled & recompressed copies.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
But why wouldn't you just put two HDDs inside your computer? You'd save money and get even more performance. Do you need to switch your storage back & forth between computers? Or do you need to use this with a laptop?

If 10 Gigabit Ethernet prices would come down quicker, then a small NAS would be an even better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.