hhd dying or psu problem is my guess any suggestions thanks ;)

MyCampGround

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
hello pc enthusiast community!

I just built my computer and have had it for about 1 year now running great. then one day i noticed heavy fps drops with it going normal fps then drops down for acouple seconds ( 90 fps down to 10 fps )then goes back up to normal and does this every 30 seconds or so which for me is unplayable. After turning on msi afterburner i noticed the temp of the gpu was at 105 deg cel! which is really hot, so i rma the card and msi returned to me a brand new gpu. i thought everything would be lovely and back to normal, but as soon as i plug in the new card im having the same issues. something in my system is causing my gpu to throttle back to its low core clock. so i wanted to see if it was hardware or software, so i put in my os cd and reload windows and all drivers etc. still the problem presist. what do you guys think could be the problem because i think its got to be a hardware problem, but the thing is i dont have an extra system to swap out different parts to diagnose the problem. any advice or info would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance!

Your fellow pc enthusiast, MyCampGround

PC build:
Wind 8.1 64bit
MSI A78M-E35
AMD athlon x4 760k
R7 260x 2GB OC
Crusial Ballistic Sport 1x8 ddr3 1600
West Digital Blue 1tb 7200rpm
corsair cx430

Solution
Not really. Unless you have another computer and are willing to swap out power supplies for a few hours or so.

That is part of the problem here. Its hard to prove that it is the power supply. At least until someone buys a new, high quality power supply, and hooks it up, and the problems just vanish.

Unfortunately, most people do not know that there are high quality and low quality power supplies. I mentioned earlier that the Corsair CX series was moved down to Tier 4. There is one tier lower. Tier 5. And we do not recommend ever turning those units back on. And despite laws that are supposed to protect people, there are dozens and dozens of companies selling power supplies on that list. People find them on Ebay and CraigsList in the...
Those Corsair CX power supplies work well when new and under light loads. But far too many of them a year later are starting to do things that make peoples systems do really strange things. Last week, I asked for, and after a discussion, got the Corsair CX line of power supplies lowered from Tier 3 to Tier 4 on the Tomshardware power supply list. The difference is that a power supply that was rated as being ok for light gaming is now rated as not being suitable for any gaming system. The change was made due to the excessive number of 1 to 2 year old units that appear to have capacitors that are already failing.

I will link the power supply listing for you. We recommend that people only buy a tier 1 or 2 power supply.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

MyCampGround

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

is their anyway i can test my psu before i buy another psu because im kinda broke and dont have money to just spend uselessly trying to diagnose this problem thanks for your input

MyCampGround

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015

also if you were to assume that this shitty psu is the problem what would you recommend for my build being budget friendly thanks ;)

Not really. Unless you have another computer and are willing to swap out power supplies for a few hours or so.

That is part of the problem here. Its hard to prove that it is the power supply. At least until someone buys a new, high quality power supply, and hooks it up, and the problems just vanish.

Unfortunately, most people do not know that there are high quality and low quality power supplies. I mentioned earlier that the Corsair CX series was moved down to Tier 4. There is one tier lower. Tier 5. And we do not recommend ever turning those units back on. And despite laws that are supposed to protect people, there are dozens and dozens of companies selling power supplies on that list. People find them on Ebay and CraigsList in the USA, and in some counties, I get the impression that there are no power supplies being sold higher than tier 4. Which is sad.

In any case, I wish I had better news for you. I would like to see you get a very high quality power supply. And I believe that Seasonic makes the best power supplies on the planet. I see that you have a 430 watt unit now. The Seasonic 450 watt unit is a 80+ Gold rated power supply, and costs more than the unit I selected below.

Seasonic S12II 520 BRONZE, SS-520GB Power Supply $59.99 + $3.99 shipping
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094&cm_re=Seasonic_S12II_520-_-17-151-094-_-Product

After linking that, I checked at pcpartpicker.com and they have that unit listed at $57.99 + $3.99 shipping, Second link below is direct to the vendor pcpartpicker.com listed.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vhKH99
http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=PSS12II520&c=CJ

Solution