Hi-end graphics card. Which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hi all,

I'm kinda getting crazy here. I want to be able to play everything at 1080p with maxed settings, but I don't know what to choose...

First I thought I would go for a 7970 Ghz. but people say it's locked so I can't really OC it when I need it to... They say I should go with 670 but that has exact the same price as an 7970 Ghz. Others say these two cards are overkill and for €100 (I live in Europe) less I could go with a decent 7950 or 660 Ti which would also perform well (especially after OC'ing). Which card should I choose now???? I'm kinda a freak about extremely modded Skyrim (with texture mods + enb + foliage mods) so extra VRAM would come in handy but I want to play FC3, BF3 and other nice modern games on ultra settings as well...
I also want it to be futureproof because I'm not that rich that I can afford a PC like this every 2-3 years. So for at least 3 years at a min. of med quality.

I'll give you the site from where I buy and my budget goes up to €400. It would be better if it were €50 less so I can spend the money on other things in my PC (better CPU + cooler + mobo). Please help me choose!

http://www.alternate.be/html/configurator/builder/structure/page.html?cmd=search&componentType=required&activeClass=graphicscard&className=graphicscardPCIe&kind=pcBuilder&sort=PRICE#GrafischekaartenPCIekaartenAMDRadeonHD7000

Thanks in advance!

Littlebro.

Solution
I did see your previous question. From what ive seen, a 7970 trades blows with a GTX 680. Its a bit hard to compare things from one company to another since everything doesn't transfer over equally. I personally would go with the 7970.

AMD performs better in some games, Nvidia in others. Depends on so many different variables =/

mc_creeper

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I ran a MSI GTX 660 Ti Power Edition 2Gb at 1440x900 everything maxed in BF3 and the lowest FPS drop was 55 FPS and would normally ran around 140-160 FPS (Monitor then limits it at this point). So if you SLI you are going to never have problems. Ask around a bit more since I don't know everything :)

calumconroy

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
660 Ti should be fine for running things in ultra, i'd suggest it over a 7950 as it handles new anti-aliasing better etc (AMD vs nVidia is really down to opinion, i prefer nVidia :3 )
Equally you could buy a factory overclocked 670 that levels performance given by a stock 680.
Basically 660 Ti for value for money or 670 for raw performance.

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Right now I'm running a crap 2008 laptop that runs Skyrim at lowest settings with average of 20-25 fps :p . I'm building a new PC.

My specs in mind:
I5 3470 (but as I said, when I get a GPU for around € 300 I could go for a 2500K + cooler)
ASRock Z77 Pro 3 mobo
Zalman Z9 Plus
8 GB 1333 RAM
1 TB 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda
600 Watt Sharkoon WPM600
(Windows 7 HP)
(Normal W/RW OD)

When you click on the link in the OP you can see all the GPUs available.

P.S. I'm a fan of Radeon because it has the best price/performance IMO. I think NVidia is rather arrogant with their stubborn prices (in my country at least :p but check the link for my options)

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Up to € 400, but absolutely not more. And no man, this company is not so far from where I live, has great customer service and I don't build myself. I'm saving up for this PC for over a year now and don't want to mess things up, you see?

Get either : http://www.alternate.be/html/product/information/pageBuilder.html?kind=pcBuilder&componentType=required&articleId=1028472&className=graphicscardPCIe (best value)

or http://www.alternate.be/html/product/information/pageBuilder.html?kind=pcBuilder&componentType=required&articleId=1011318&className=graphicscardPCIe (best 670 gtx in that price of 400)

There's also a good 7970 ghz edition, if you prefer AMD : http://www.alternate.be/html/product/XFX/HD7970_Double_Dissipation_GHz_Ed._(FX-797G-TDFC)/1026367/?

The 660ti at 1080p begins to falter - and because of its bandwidth issues, won't age as nicely as some of the higher end cards. My vote lies with the 670.

OR... wait a few months. The 700 / 8k series will be coming soon, and if what little dribbles of news we have so far are at all accurate, will bring a good deal more power with highly aggressive pricing.

What!! That's the second time I've seen you post such nonsense so for the last time please explain. I have two of them and am running at 19 x 10 so your explanation had better be a good one.

Littlebro

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
I would like something better than a 660, even though it's without a doubt a really nice card. I want to play games with the card I buy for as long as possible without OC'ing and when the time comes, some mild OC'ing untill I can upgrade the GPU.

I'm not suggesting that you get a 660 but I would like an explanation from DarkSable about the "problems" that the 660's have @1080 and in SLi.

simmons33

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
I did see your previous question. From what ive seen, a 7970 trades blows with a GTX 680. Its a bit hard to compare things from one company to another since everything doesn't transfer over equally. I personally would go with the 7970.

AMD performs better in some games, Nvidia in others. Depends on so many different variables =/

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.