[SOLVED] Hi Friends, PCIE Lanes bandwidth, performance and compatibilty question. Help appreciated

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
So I’m about to pull the trigger on two m.2 ssds and a single sata 3 ssd.

I’m buying the Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Extreme Motherboard and will be pairing this with a single 2080ti, i9 9900K and two M.2 ssds Samsung 970 EVO 2TB NVMe 1.3 M.2 and Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe 1.3 M.2 as well as a Samsung 860 EVO 4TB SSD sata 3.
My question relating to pcie lanes (best I know how to ask it) is what effect will this have on performance will i get hit with bandwidth losses or any performance hits? Also just double checking these are all compatible with this motherboard.
And is it something you would recommend or will it present any issues?
Pleast note: this post is not about my budget or how I can save money, I don’t care about what a better financially viable option is, I’m just trying to understand if buying the ssds/m.2 drives for this motherboard will have any ill effect in anyway moving forward and double checking the compatability with this motherboard before I buy.

It says this in the motherboard support page for my board (just cut and pasted it below) essentially they all share bandwidth with something (sorry I’m not that technical at all) essentially I will be using one m.2 for my work/boot drive just basic work docs spreadsheets etc and the othe other m.2 for games, so just for the sake of simplifying it for me I will be using two out of the available m.2 slots, they share bandwith, will this have any detrimental effect in anyway with regards to performance and will it prohibit me expanding or using other normal ssd/hdd secondary gpu in the furture by using up the bandwidth needed? I hope I asked that correctly. Again thanks so much for any help.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z390-AORUS-XTREME-rev-10#sp

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16) * For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8) * The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot operates at up to x8 mode. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4) * The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the M2P connector. The PCIEX4 slot operates at up to x2 mode when a PCIe SSD is installed in the M2P connector. (All of the PCI Express x16 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.) 2 x PCI Express x1 slots (All of the PCI Express x1 slots conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.) 1 x M.2 Socket 1 connector for an Intel® CNVi wireless module only (CNVI)

Thank’s so much for any help.

Solution
take a look at the motherboard manual p.33

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-xtreme_1003_190219_e.pdf

this explains the give and take for using the various M.2 slots. you give up some of the SATA ports. using 2 of the M.2 slots like you plan disables half the SATA ports. so long as you plan accordingly and plug everything into the right place this should not be a problem. p.7 has the mobo layout with all the slots and ports labeled so you can understand what refers to what.

the PCIEx4 slot, which is the bottom slot, is what loses lanes to the M.2 slots. you likely won't be using this one anyway so again not a big deal. if you ensure you get the right drives for the M.2 slots and plug the SATA SSD...

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador

http://download.gigabyte.us/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_z390-aorus-xtreme_1003_190219_e.pdf

this explains the give and take for using the various M.2 slots. you give up some of the SATA ports. using 2 of the M.2 slots like you plan disables half the SATA ports. so long as you plan accordingly and plug everything into the right place this should not be a problem. p.7 has the mobo layout with all the slots and ports labeled so you can understand what refers to what.

the PCIEx4 slot, which is the bottom slot, is what loses lanes to the M.2 slots. you likely won't be using this one anyway so again not a big deal. if you ensure you get the right drives for the M.2 slots and plug the SATA SSD into an available port, it does not look like you'll be giving up any bandwidth for any of the drives.

Reactions: Danib0y26
Solution

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019

this explains the give and take for using the various M.2 slots. you give up some of the SATA ports. using 2of the M.2 slots like you plan disables half the SATA ports. so long as you plan accordingly and plug everything into the right place this should not be a problem. p.7 has the mobo layout with all the slots and ports labeled so you can understand what refers to what.

the PCIEx4 slot, which is the bottom slot, is what loses lanes to the M.2 slots. you likely won't be using this one anyway so again not a big deal. if you ensure you get the right drives for the M.2 slots and plug the SATA SSD into an available port, it does not look like you'll be giving up any bandwidth for any of the drives.

You’re a legend, thanks so much for your reply. I’ll just have to work out the correct slots i’m assuming the top 2 like you mentioned I’m only using 2 m.2’s anyway. I will be using Samsung 1X 970 EVO 2TB NVMe 1.3 M.2 and 1X Samsung 970 Pro 512GB NVMe 1.3 M.2

I’m pretty sure these are compatible, hopefully.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah i believe they are as well. you'd be giving up SATA 1, 4, 5 using both drives on the top 2 M.2 slots. so just plug the SATA SSD into one of the other ports and should be ok.

the single GPU should be in the top x16 slot which has no conflicts that i saw. should work out well overall. gonna be a beast of a system

Danib0y26

Prominent
Feb 28, 2019
yah i believe they are as well. you'd be giving up SATA 1, 4, 5 using both drives on the top 2 M.2 slots. so just plug the SATA SSD into one of the other ports and should be ok.

the single GPU should be in the top x16 slot which has no conflicts that i saw. should work out well overall. gonna be a beast of a system

No worries, thanks so much my friend your advice wa great.

Much appreciated.

TRENDING THREADS