Question Hi guys i wonder what are the risk of connecting a surge protector into an UPS ?

Iamcid

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
I am no electrician engineer and i am concerned with what could happen if i keep for a long time a quality surge protector into an ups if you guys know

D

Deleted member 14196

I think you would rather plug your UPS into the surge protector. I only use Tripp lite surge protectors as well. You could also do it the other way around and nothing bad will ever happen but I would rather protect the UPS from surges and then use the UPS to power your PC

This is the equipment that I use

Here is the best surge protector
https://www.tripplite.com/products/surge-protectors~19?2029=Premium Isobar

Are usually get the eight port

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamcid

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
oki thank you my man, i had connected for some time a surge into an ups and indeed i had no issues i was just wondering if i gave bad electricity to my computers with this weird setup that i had

D

Deleted member 14196

Now you haven’t done any damage everything is fine but just switch it around for your maximum protection for everything including the Ups

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to do this? To get more power connections? That would put a higher load on the UPS than it was designed for so it won't work very well as a UPS. Any good UPS would include surge protection and they help to even out spikes/sags. I don't think any UPS model recommends using a surge protector with their models, and most building safety codes prohibit stringing two surge protectors together which is pretty much what you are doing. At many jobs I had, we would have inspections of the setups and they would make sure we did not have a bunch of things daisy chained. Of course in some training classes our facilities people stuck 3-4 of those things together, so really anything goes till you start a fire.