[SOLVED] hi, having pc crashes how can i test PSU as i think it might be cause

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
does seem like heavyer load or max settings causes my computer to crash on a fresh instal and am wondering if the PSU is getting to old. it is roughly 8-9yrs old evga G1750 gold
was wondering if theres any test or what would i do to see if this is the cause? my gpu is a 2080 rtx i7 8700k

Last edited:
Solution
PSU testers are useless, they can confirm a bad psu, but not confirm proper operation.

The only way to test for a bad psu is to replace it with a known good one.

See if you can borrow a known good replacement to test with.
Failing that, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking charge.

bignastyid

Titan
does seem like heavyer load or max settings causes my computer to crash on a fresh instal and am wondering if the PSU is getting to old. it is roughly 12yrs old evga G2 750 gold
was wondering if theres any test or what would i do to see if this is the cause? my gpu is a 2080 rtx i7 8700k

No way that PSU is 12 years old. The 750w EVGA G2 was released in 2014, so at most it is 6 years old. 12 years ago EVGA wasn't even in the PSU market.

Reactions: WINTERLORD

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
ah, you are right i just looked again and it is a nex 750w G1 but you might be right and is closer to 9yrs old and has a 10yr warranty however when i changed account email at newegg i lost some of the records the psu being one of them but is between 8-9yrs old

Last edited:

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
cpu temps are temps are 74-78 during load and gaming and gpu is 69-71 and im using WhoCrashed but its not comming up with dumps i think the computer is rebooting before dumping the memory i have it on full memory dump

Last edited:
PSU testers are useless, they can confirm a bad psu, but not confirm proper operation.

The only way to test for a bad psu is to replace it with a known good one.

See if you can borrow a known good replacement to test with.
Failing that, buy a replacement from a shop with a good return policy.
Expect to pay a 15% restocking charge.

Solution

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i may have to reinstall again as i dont recal having these issues before the May update and atleast with one game im not the only person either according to steam however i dont see issues with the game a been playing listed and i did a fresh instal when i encountered these problems the first time so since i installed with the may update i cant roll back that update can i?

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
how would i instal a version of windows before the may update? as i already earased and redid the windows update usb i have. nvm they dont host older versions of windows and im not so sure bout downloading windows 10 from other sites kinda risky