Question hi how can you keep a powerful sabrent at bay and better organize the cooling of this system?

Jan 14, 2020
hi I would like advice on how to best set up ventilation:

mobo asus rog strix gaming x570
ryzen 9 3900x
video card msi 2070 super gaming x
m2 sabrent rocket nvme pcie 4.0 1T (the temperature of this is a problem since the motherboard does not offer the assembly of its heatsink which therefore I have not purchased and therefore I will use that of the motherboard)
1 simple 2t mechanical hdd
The case is a phanteks p600s to which I removed the 3 standard fans as I purchased 6 fans cromax NF-A14 pwm to place one behind 2 on the roof and 3 on the front.
the CPU cooler is a noctua nh d15.

if you can I need detailed advice on how and where to connect the fans and how to solve without compromising the motherboard the dissipation of this powerful gold series ssd
thank you.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2020
I honestly don't understand what the issue is.

Are you seeing temp alerts on the NVMe SSD drive? Or are you assuming it is 'hot' because you are touching it and it feels 'hot'?
its heatsink in stock instead of the one supplied to the motherboard but the general configuration of the fans interests me at the same time to assemble the pc

Jan 14, 2020
I was told that the sabrent pce4.0 without its standard heatsink is not recommended to mount it in the strix and gaming as this sssd being the last very fast needs a lot of dissipation and it seems that the heat sinks of the motherboard are not considered efficient.
So mounting the proprietary one of the sabrent SSD it is not possible in the motherboard to reassemble the fan cover of the chipset as the configuration of the card is particular.
Also I would like advice on the case that I have indicated in my possession and that is to have a tip on how to set the air cooling with those fans that is how to connect them to the mobo in the specific terminals

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sabrent sells the drive in 2 ways. Either with the heatsink or without. You can use it with the stock heatsink or with the Asus heatsink as you wish. The only reason to buy the Sabrent with a heatsink is if your motherboard does not include a heatsink, which many do not or only have it on one slot.

You'll want to zone your fans. Exactly how you do it is up to you, but I'd use a 3way splitter for the front 3 fans to a single header, a 2way splitter from the NH-D15 to cpu_fan header, a 2way splitter to the top fans and run the rear exhaust by itself. This'll allow you to set different fan curves for the fans as a group.

Jan 14, 2020
Sabrent sells the drive in 2 ways. Either with the heatsink or without. You can use it with the stock heatsink or with the Asus heatsink as you wish. The only reason to buy the Sabrent with a heatsink is if your motherboard does not include a heatsink, which many do not or only have it on one slot.

You'll want to zone your fans. Exactly how you do it is up to you, but I'd use a 3way splitter for the front 3 fans to a single header, a 2way splitter from the NH-D15 to cpu_fan header, a 2way splitter to the top fans and run the rear exhaust by itself. This'll allow you to set different fan curves for the fans as a group.

Ok but not so if the sabrent was at high speed 4.0 it also reaches 5000 MB / s is enough to dissipate all that heat and not risk high temperatures as we read in retec 'is any test on the subject? otherwise I purchase its heatsink which has a remarkable efficiency which the strix I doubt has (heat sink: cooer 401w / mK and aluminum 237 w / mk) it has

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The Sabrent uses the same Phison controller, same SkHynix ram and same Toshiba 3d nand as the Gigabyte Aorus, it's basically identical except for the heatsink included, even pulls the same speeds.

So for all intents and purposes, it's the same drive, different sticker. The Aorus heatsink isn't as efficient as the Sabrent, so gets warmer, faster, but that doesn't mean it thermally throttles or cooks if pushed. Just means that under extreme extended usage, the factory Sabrent heatsink takes longer to heat up. Still heats up though.

Jan 14, 2020

[/QUOTE]

We agree on this but if I find someone who has used the mobo strix heatsink with the ssd one I would have direct feedback and I could decide. What is certain is that how do you build a motherboard to give you the opportunity to mount a custom ssd heatsink that plans to make you give up aesthetics and have you remove the chipset fan cover losing in aesthetics at the modest price of about $ 300 or at least I said a lot about engineering quality don't you think?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not really. Says more on proprietary design and other considerations. The Sabrent cooler is rather tall, which any idiot with a dream could design. What they didn't take into account was placement on the mobo is different for different designs and vendors and boards. So if using that cooler, how does it impact gpus, sli, air coolers, push/pull on aios in close quarters cases etc. At least asus has done that and while their heatsink isn't anything spectacular or overly brilliant, it works. They could have left a gaping open hole, but instead you have something.

Considering what it is, and it works just fine with lesser ability heatsinks just fine (or those vendors would have a larger heatsink too, or warning labels all over expressly demanding use of a heatsink), I think you are overthinking this.

Jan 14, 2020
Not really. Says more on proprietary design and other considerations. The Sabrent cooler is rather tall, which any idiot with a dream could design. What they didn't take into account was placement on the mobo is different for different designs and vendors and boards. So if using that cooler, how does it impact gpus, sli, air coolers, push/pull on aios in close quarters cases etc. At least asus has done that and while their heatsink isn't anything spectacular or overly brilliant, it works. They could have left a gaping open hole, but instead you have something.

Considering what it is, and it works just fine with lesser ability heatsinks just fine (or those vendors would have a larger heatsink too, or warning labels all over expressly demanding use of a heatsink), I think you are overthinking this.

you are probably right but if the temperatures rise above 70 75 the m2 will go into thermal throttling! if sabrent has made such a big heatsink there must be a reason that the aorus always pcie4.0 is smaller but still if you look well the motherboard you will notice that you cannot mount any m2 with its large or small proprietary heatsink without having to remove the "aesthetic" cover of the chipset fan
bad question remains:
the strix will be able to dissipate well or remove the hood

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
I have a similar setup with RTX 2080 ti, so I just cut away part of the cover on the MOBO and mounted with the Sabrent heatsink.

QzO0W1s.jpg

Jan 14, 2020
I have a similar setup with RTX 2080 ti, so I just cut away part of the cover on the MOBO and mounted with the Sabrent heatsink.

QzO0W1s.jpg

Sorry. You have been very kind, it is not my intention to bump anyone.
My question is to be:

What if you change SSD?
does it seem normal that such a dear card will lead us to such a solution?
may I know rather what led you to do it? Were the temperatures high with the motherboard heatsink?
sorry I wanted to ask you another thing:
can you check yes and the motherboard allows you to turn off all its rgb effects?

did you make some text before arriving at this drastic choice? let me know
thank you very much.

, bye.

Last edited:

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
I did not need to mull over little details like cutting the covers. I don't see a problem with this solution, although I was not worried about the stock solution, but preferred to use the Sabrent heat sink. And If I need to change SSD I will go with Sabrent a second time. Building PC yourself is all about modification, so I don't see it a s a drastic choice.

And yes I believe this MOBO allows all RGB to be turned off

Jan 14, 2020
I did not need to mull over little details like cutting the covers. I don't see a problem with this solution, although I was not worried about the stock solution, but preferred to use the Sabrent heat sink. And If I need to change SSD I will go with Sabrent a second time. Building PC yourself is all about modification, so I don't see it a s a drastic choice.

And yes I believe this MOBO allows all RGB to be turned off

Thanks you were very kind one last thing: how are the temperatures I ask because I have not yet assembled the pc and also I would like to know if I can write to you again maybe you can give me some tips